BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
BETO
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I have a data step where I'm converting a date/time field into just date and formatting it to monname5. ( I tried monyy5.)

in the second table I would like to group by the month but it seems like even though its a month it still has days same number if it was days.

in addition when I export it out to excel it converts the monname format back to a muddy format ...enclose is a snapshot of the script ...thanks for your assistance

DATA DeActive ;

set DeActive ;

DATE=datepart(TranDate);

FORMAT DATE monyy7.;

RUN;

proc sql;

CREATE TABLE CCMS AS

(SELECT

Atmcodenumber,

Date,

AVG(DispCashAmt) As Avg_DispCashAmt ,

AVG(DispCashCnt)As Avg_DispCashCnt ,

Avg(CurrInitAmt) As Avg_Replen,

Avg(CashAddAmt) As Avg_Cash_Add

FROM DeActive   

group by DATE,Atmcodenumber

);

run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

This is pretty close.  It is untested.

proc summary nway missing data=deactive;
   class date atmcodenumber;
   var DispCashAmt DispCashCnt CurrInitAmt CashAddAmt;
   output out=ccms mean=;
   run;

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

I don't know if GROUP BY uses the formatted value of DATE or the internal value or if you can control it.

I do know that PROC SUMMARY will use the formatted value of date by default.  I prefer SUMMARY/MEANS for decriptive statistics over SQL and the code is usually shorted.

When the data get to EXCEL you will need to tell EXCEL how you want the date field formatted.

BETO
Fluorite | Level 6

HI can you provide an example ? Thank youThank you

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

This is pretty close.  It is untested.

proc summary nway missing data=deactive;
   class date atmcodenumber;
   var DispCashAmt DispCashCnt CurrInitAmt CashAddAmt;
   output out=ccms mean=;
   run;
BETO
Fluorite | Level 6

DATA_NULL_,

Thank you so much for your assistance I was able to make it work...I have never used proc summary before...

Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

If you  pass a date formatted as monname to excel through ods tagsets.excelxp you can get excel to present it as a month name with the excel format "mmmm". If you use "mmm" you get the effect of sas format monname3.

peterC

ArtC
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Formats do not change how the value is stored. they control how the value is displayed.  If you want the month name to appear in Excel, try converting it to a character value and pass the character string.

moname = put(date, monname5.);

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation