BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sas_9
Obsidian | Level 7

This is a part of code from sceduled job on taro.

This code is created by another person and i am trying to figure out where exactly i need to put double quatation mark. Becasue code_ref table is in oracle and i think i cannot put double quatation in oracle. Please guide me.

I have atatched code.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Looks to me as if there is something wrong with the string in &service: .... ,'!'7','!'8'

You've got unbalanced quotes here. You will have to revisit the code where you build the string for &service.

In case there are no & and % in your values then easiest would be to use double quotes: ..... ,"!'7","!'8"

190        and serv in ( &service1)
NOTE: Line generated by the macro variable "SERVICE1".
10                                                         The SAS System                            05:00 Thursday, January 5, 2012

190         '*V','*X','*Y','>G','B:','C)','E$','E+','.(','.)','.+','_8','!'7','!'8'
                                                                        ___

LarryWorley
Fluorite | Level 6

Patrick is pointing in the right direction.

Looking at the code you provided just prior to the error message,  I see

proc sql;

create table dst_codes as

select '123' as account,code from sasds.intl_codes where plan = 'INTL' and biller = 'DST';

quit;

proc sort data = dst_codes;

by account;

run;

data temp1;

set dst_codes;

by account;

format serv $300.;

retain serv;

if first.account then

serv = "'"||code||"'" ;

else do;

serv = compress(serv||",'"||code||"'", ' ');

end;

if last.account then output;

drop code;

run;

proc sql;

select serv into :service1 from temp1;

quit;

libname idst oracle user=BA01NPTNE password=BA01NPTNE path=iddp2 schema=ggs readbuff = 250000;

My take is that the code is building a dataset, temp1, which is simply a list of the values of serv from the database table, intl_codes.  It then performs an un-needed sort and create a new dataset, temp1,  which has a single observation and a single variable, serv, which has quoted concatenated values of the original serv separated by commas.  This concatenated value is then fed into a macro variable which is used in the SQL where clause and which is causing your problem.

1.  I would check the values of serv brought back from the data base in temp1.  I suspect some of the values contain a bang character, '!' and a single quote character.  I suspect values of "|'7" and "|'8" in the list.

2.  If the database does contain those characters, then verify if those are valid values.

3.  If they are not valid values, then initiate a clean-up of the database table, intl_codes.

4. If they are valid values, then the best option may be to substitute a sub-query, select distinct serv from dst_codes, for the macro variable, &service1, in the create table SQL statement. Then SAS should build the query so that it will execute correctly. 

Give this a try.  If it works, you can get rid of the proc sort, datastep and proc sql between creating intl_codes and sasds.intl_dst_&day.

DouglasMartin
Calcite | Level 5

Are you perhaps trying to escape the quote using an exclamation mark? i.e. are you trying to get the two character sequences '7 and '8 as members of that list? If that is the case you can't do it that way in SAS. If for some weird reason that I don't understand you are unable to use double quotes in your code, you can also use two consecutive single quotes as a literal single quote. e.g. x='''7'; assigns the two characters '7 to x. If you actually want the exclamation mark in there, then x='!''7'; assigns the three characters !'7 to x.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation