BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
robertrao
Quartz | Level 8

Hi ,

I am a beginner and i have difficulty in following the answered codes while I go through the questions posted on Forum. Recently I replied through their discussions and many memebrs suggested to post it as a new question instead of replying to the answered questions. Could some one explain me details regarding.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

In general, if the question is directly on the original subject, you should use Reply in that thread.

If it is tangential (for example, you didn't understand the code), a new thread is the best way to go. You can copy the code you didn't understand, or you can copy and quote the text you didn't understand, provide a link to the original thread, and ask your question. For example:

Start of example

In an earlier thread, George said:

The rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain.

I don't see the data to support this. Can someone give me more details about this data?

End of example

Normally, in these forums, you don't direct questions to a specific individual. You explain your question, with appropriate quotes, and give credit to the person who made the quote, but you ask the entire community for an explanation. If that person is reading and wishes to answer, he or she may do so. In this way, everyone may participate in the conversation, and everyone may learn from the answers. In my opinion, it is not appropriate to continue a discussion by private e-mail if the topic may be of interest to the entire community.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Karun,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for the questions.  You've asked a lot of questions lately, so I am not really sure which one you are asking about.  I can see a few reasons for starting a new thread:

1. the original was marked "answered".  If the original question was marked as answered, a check shows at the left.  Some people use that as a filter to not bother with the question again.
  2. the question that you are asking is tangential to the original.  In particular, if your question has nothing to do with the title.
  3. the thread already has had a lot of comments.  For me, if there are already 8-10 comments, I don't bother with it unless I was one of the commentators.  I can only spend so many brain cells on the forums and like to focus where I feel I can make the most contribution.

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

robertrao
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks Doc for the detailed reply.

If i am going through the questions posted by anonther person a couple of days ago (its answered though ) to learn various concepts and I feel that I did not understand the code or have a question. I would want to ask the author who answered it. So my question is "if I can reply to the comment theread directly" or is there any other way to do that??Because some of the forum members asked me to post it as a new question........HOW CAN I POST IT AS A NEW QUESTION TO ASK THE AUTHOR WHO ANSWERED IT?.SHOULD I  COPY PASTE THAT PART FROM THE THREAD AND SEND IT TO THE AUTHORS EMAIL DIRECTLY????

THANKS

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

In general, if the question is directly on the original subject, you should use Reply in that thread.

If it is tangential (for example, you didn't understand the code), a new thread is the best way to go. You can copy the code you didn't understand, or you can copy and quote the text you didn't understand, provide a link to the original thread, and ask your question. For example:

Start of example

In an earlier thread, George said:

The rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain.

I don't see the data to support this. Can someone give me more details about this data?

End of example

Normally, in these forums, you don't direct questions to a specific individual. You explain your question, with appropriate quotes, and give credit to the person who made the quote, but you ask the entire community for an explanation. If that person is reading and wishes to answer, he or she may do so. In this way, everyone may participate in the conversation, and everyone may learn from the answers. In my opinion, it is not appropriate to continue a discussion by private e-mail if the topic may be of interest to the entire community.

--
Paige Miller
robertrao
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks Paige,

For your detailed explanation of the process involved.

Appreciate your time

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation