BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but.... Can someone tell me the steps I need to follow in order to establish connectivity to an Oracle database? I've never done this before, so if whoever responds can put things into really simple terms, that would be greatly appreciated.

I also looked in SAS Tech Support, but not being sure of what to search for, found nothing.

Thank you to all who reply....looking forward to hearing from you!
6 REPLIES 6
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
I'm figuring that you have SAS/Access to Oracle. So searching on
SAS/Access Oracle connect
as the search string on support.sas.com yields a bunch of results. Among them:
http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/acreldb/59618/HTML/default/a001386225.htm (LIBNAME statement for relational databases)
http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/acreldb/59618/HTML/default/a003113595.htm (Using the Pass-Through facility)
http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/acreldb/59618/HTML/default/a003113595.htm#a003113596 (examples)

Also, if I remember correctly from previous posts, you have the Enterprise Intelligence Platform installed. So you might wish to read the Platform Administration documentation on configuring your servers and setting up LIBNAME statements for data base files -- generally, your data base files should be visible (defined to) the metadata server.

cynthia
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Cindy & SASman,

The Enterprise Intelligence Platform is not necessary to use SAS/Access for Oracle (or, at least, I don't think that we have it installed).

SASman, you will need to work with your Oracle DBA to get the information to use SAS/Access for Oracle. The schema name is defined in the tnsnames.ora file (a file that the DBA manages). You also need to have the appropriate Oracle client (or at least some pieces) installed on the machine that SAS is running on.

Doc
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Doc:
You are correct. The Enterprise Intelligence Platform is NOT necessary to use SAS/Access to Oracle. However, SASMan has posted in the Stored Process forum previously (where I have answered his SP questions and emailed code to him -- so I know that he is using the Enterprise Intelligence Platform -- unless he's changed job duties since his Stored Process postings).

So, in addition to reading the SAS/Access doc and working with his DBA for schema and password info, etc; he may also have metadata server definitions that he needs to do, which requires reading the Enterprise Intelligence Platform Admin doc.

As long as you have SAS/Access to Oracle, you can access Oracle tables. However IF you ALSO have the SAS Enterprise Intelligence Platform, that adds another twist to the question -- because the Metadata server also needs to be taken into account.

SAS/Access to Oracle existed long before the Enterprise Intelligence Platform. However SAS/Access to Oracle also can run within the context of the Enterprise Intelligence Platform. I did not mean to confuse the issue for folks who do not have the "platform".

cynthia
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thank you to all who replied....it's appreciated! What I'm trying to do, with zero experience in doing it, is to set up a new library. I have gone through the steps of sdefining a database server metadata object, defining a database schema metadata object and defining a database library metadata object.

Where I am running into a problem is in EG 3, when I try to double-click on the newly created library, I get a message that says the userid and password I'm using are invalid. I also tried creating a new group that points to the newly created libray and then getting in to the library, to no avail.

If anyone has an idea as to why I can't click onto the library and explore the library, I'd love to hear it. Thanks so much!
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
Have you read this:
http://support.sas.com/techsup/technote/ts726.pdf and
http://support.sas.com/kb/14/080.html (see Ques #4, 5 and 6 in this note)

EG 3 adds another twist to the question. I only have EG 4.1 and I do not have any Oracle tables to experiment with.

Your best bet for help may be to contact Tech Support, as they can find their way to EG 3 and to Oracle and to the Enterprise Intelligence Platform, via the metadata server.

cynthia
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thanks for your reply, Cynthia,

I'll check out the links you have provided and see if they'll help. Sure is confusing! Is there any place where there might be step-by-step instruction to do something like this?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation