BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Dear SAS,

I am facing performance issue in SAS DI Jobs , I want to delete Temp Work table which gets created while using DI transformaiton.

Is there a way out to delete those Work table ?

If yes

Is it possible to delete the work table of all transformaiton or is this is only for some selected transformaiton ?

Regards,
4 REPLIES 4
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Generally, transformation output tables are deleted upon the end of the job processing(that is at the en of the SAS session running the job). There is no silver bullet approach to remove intermediate WORK tables. Some transformations remove intermediate tables used within the transformation (tables that are not visible in the process designer).

What you are asking for is some automatic way top delete tables that are not longer to any use further on in the job I guess it would be some messy logic for DI Studio to figure that out, including user written code/transformations.

So, you can do some user written transformation that deletes those tables at proper locations (not so nice from a process design view), and insert a clean-up routine in the post process (in case you're WORK is a permanent storage or if you run several jobs within the same session).

Another possibility is to use VIEWS as transformation output when it's possible.

What is your concern, running out of temporary disk space? You can also build shorter jobs, which will automatically delete temporary tables at the job end.

/Linus
Data never sleeps
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thanks Linus for your prompt reply,

I have no short disk space issue, I am developing the prototype for bidding against the SAS rivals for SAS EDI Server .

My SAS DI job is too big and processing five million of records and with green box( Temp. Work table) and its taking longer than what I could have better performance without Temp. work table.

As I uderstand from your reply that there is no direct way of deleting the Work table.

Once again thanks for your attention.

Regards,
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Maybe I misunderstood you. I thought you meant the physical table, but maybe you are referring to the transformation output table in the process. If this is the case, which transformation creates this output table, and what is the next step in your job?

/Linus
Data never sleeps
GertNissen
Barite | Level 11
Hi GR

All the temp work table (green objects) in DI Studio are only views and should not (generally) decrease perfomance. A view is not written to the disk before used in the next transformation. Right click to check if the temp work table is a view or not.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation