BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
LucyLou
Calcite | Level 5

Hi All,

I am trying to link records in my data by whether a few conditions apply. I want to create a new variable to determine contact with an infected classmate. I have my data so that for every day a student is in a particular school there is a separate record. I want to create a new variable "contact" that indicates whether a student was at the same school on the same day as any of the infected students (does not matter if it was one infected student or 10). I also need a way to prevent it saying it was in contact with an infected student if the infected student was himself (I hope that makes sense).

Please help!

Thank you in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
lloydc
Calcite | Level 5

I may be mis-reading your question and if so, I apologize. But it sounds like you can have a dataset (healthy) with variables     (school, student, date-attended) and another dataset (infected) with variables (school,infected-student,date-attended) then do a merge:

proc sort data=healthy; by school date-attended;

proc sort data=infected; by school date-attended;

data mergem;

set healthy; by school date-attended;

set infected; by school date-attended;

merge healthy (in=inh) infected (in=inf);

if inh and inf then output;

proc sort data=mergem; by student infected-student;

proc freq data=mergem; tables student*infected-student;

I think that would give you a table by healthy-student and each infected-student with the # of potential interactions for each combination.

Hope this helps.

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

I will make a slightly different guess about your data structure and assume you have a single dataset with variables School, Student, Date, and Contagious. The following query would give you useful information (untested) :

proc sql;

create table contact as

select

A.school,

A.student,

coalesce(count(distinct B.student), 0) as nbStudents,

min(B.date) as firstContact format=date9.,

max(B.date) as lastContact format=date9.

from

(select * from attendance where not contagious) as A left join

(select * from attendance where contagious) as B

on A.school=B.school and A.date=B.date and A.student ne B.student

group by A.school, A.student;

quit;

PG

PG
LucyLou
Calcite | Level 5

I think this worked! Thank you so much.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation