BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
cilas99
Calcite | Level 5

I was wondering whether there is a specific procedure in SAS which can handle binary correlated data. More specifically I have a sample of 400 individuals who have selected their food likes among a variety of available options (binary). Also the participants indicated their age, whether they are active or not and their gender. The food options were: pizza, salad, cheese cake and juices. I wanted to know whether there is a procedure in SAS which can explore the correlations between the food options among different demographics. I appreciate if you can help me with this (e.g. younger males who are active and like salad tend to like juices as well).

2 REPLIES 2
dcruik
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

There are a couple of ways to approach this.  One way would be using the FREQ procedure on Age vs Food Options and test for associations (or on Active or Gender vs Food Options, etc... whatever you would be interested in).  There are some key words to use in the options to test for associations between class variables.

You could also just look visually by plotting the different Food Options vs the binary variables such as Age or Gender and determine if there is a change in any of the classes for any of the binary variables.  Not an actual statistical test, but sometimes looking at plots visually will give you an idea of what could be significant and what to test for significance.  Hope this helps and is what you were looking for.  Good luck!

/*Tests of Association:  Gender vs Food*/

proc freq data=input;

tables Gender*Food / expected chisq relrisk measures cl;

run;

cilas99
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks a lot for your reply I was actually looking for a prediction model. So that based on these data I can develop a model that can predict what would be the preference of another sample based on their demographic data. Something like a multivariate logistic regression.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation