BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi,

My requirement is to match 2 files(of different record counts) using few key fields and if they match exactly then i need to remove those records from the 1st file. i.e. i need to write only the unmatched records from File-1 to output.

I tried using the MERGE operation which works fine, but the prob is the SORT Order of my original file gets impacted and i am not able to find the original SORT Order to resort the file to its original sort order as LRECL is very large(LRECL=1250). Morever the number of records in the file-1 is also very large. So, when the merged contents are written to a dataset it gets abended due to space issue.

i also tried using SELECT statement from PROC SQL. But still i am facing the same space issue when i write the unmatched contents to a table to be written to the output file.

I tried another option using INDEX function to match the key fields. Here also i encounter a problem. The number of records that can be matched between these 2 files is taken as file-2(which has least count). And so the unmatched records from File-1 that are written to output is exactly till the same count as in File-2. Is there any way to use the INDEX option between 2 files which do not have same number of record counts?

Could you please help me out with any other options for matching these 2 files, which in turn would not require writing the entire contents of File-1 to a dataset (so that i can avoid the space issue)?

Thanks,
San
3 REPLIES 3
FredrikE
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
proc sql;
create view match as select a.*,b.unique_b_var as check from
(select * from table1) as a
left join
(select * from table2) as b
on a.var1 = b.var1
and a.var2 = b.var2
and a.var(n) = b.var(n)
;

create new_table as
select *
from match
where check eq .
;
quit;
Flip
Fluorite | Level 6
It can be done in one step.

proc sql;
create table new as select * from old o where not exists( select * from mark m
where m.var1 = o.var1 and m.var2 = o.var2);
quit;

or in place as
proc sql;
delete from old o where exists( select * from mark m
where m.var1 = o.var1 and m.var2 = o.var2);
quit;
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi,

Thanks for ur inputs. But when i write the contents to a table using the PROC SQL Statements given in ur replies, i still get the space issue like below.

"Write to WORK.'@T000000'n.UTILITY failed. File is full and may be damaged"..

Is there any way to resolve this?

Thanks,
San

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation