BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
KimLeBouton
Quartz | Level 8

SAS/FSP was recently removed from the mainframe for $$$ reasons.

I am converting the FSEDIT code to a Windows XP platform. 

The enduser (with no SAS skills) likes to cut-and-paste long text fields with a customized FSEDIT screen.  With the 3270 emulation tool, it was very easy.  With XP, I can get cut to work using ctrl-c, but I can’t find an easy solution for paste.  The keyboard shortcut isn’t working (ctrl-v).  I’ve played with the insert key too.  Has anyone figured out how to get this to work?

I recognize that there are better options than FSEDIT, but the user is very comfortable with this method.

TIA,

Kim LeBouton

KJL Computing

9 REPLIES 9
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Kim,

Can't say for sure, but maybe this SAS Note will help?

18155 - Unable to mark text in a field in the FSEDIT window

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
art297
Opal | Level 21

: I found the following on the web and it may be all that you need to do:

re: ctrl-c and or ctrl-v not working

Annoying problem if you rely 100% on keyboard shortcuts!  I had the same problem and the fix is very easy.  You will need to uninstall your keyboard driver and restart your computer and your CTRL keys will function once again.  To do this:

1)  Click Start

2)  Control Panel

3)  Printers and Other Hardware

4)  Keyboard

5)  In the Keyboard Properties window, click Hardware

6)  Click Properties

7)  Click Driver

😎  Click Uninstall, click OK

9)  Restart your Computer

HTH,

Art

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Actually, I think it is an FSEDIT thing.  The Windows "native" paste commands don't seem to work there.

You can get the function by mapping STORE and PASTE in your FSEDIT command window.  With the FSEDIT window active, open the KEYS window ('KEYS' command will do it) and then map STORE and PASTE to the desired keys.

Also, you may need to apply the WNAVKEYUNMARK command per the SAS note I referenced.

Good luck!

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
KimLeBouton
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks for the quick feedback.  Aside to Art:  Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V works outside of FSEDIT, including SAS Display Manager.

I guess I forgot to add which version of SAS, which is SAS 9.3 TS Level 1M2.

The field itself is 160 characters and wraps for several lines.

Working from the SAS 9.1 problem note, the closest I got was a partial paste.  Using MARK (XP ctrl-C worked too) and Store, PASTE (Ctrl-R) would only paste the first line.  As already mentioned, the Windows Ctrl-V does nothing, although it should according to the Problem Note.

I will open up a trouble ticket,

Kim

art297
Opal | Level 21

: Just out of curiosity, did you try the steps to reinstall the keyboard?

The note that Chris provided suggested that the keys should work from Windows, regardless.  I wonder if something may have changed regarding the keyboard before SAS was installed.

Art

KimLeBouton
Quartz | Level 8

Concerning the keyboard and a reinstall, we are talking about at least three machines (one laptop and two desktops) with the same behavior.  I would have to get approval from another department for such a change.

I will put together a small fsedit program to mimic my example and post tomorrow.

Kim

KimLeBouton
Quartz | Level 8

Here is the code I promised last week...  Reminder, the code cut-and-paste works on z/OS and not Windows.

libname screen 'c:\sas.fsp.screen';

data class_with_long_text;

set sashelp.class;

if _n_=1 then long_comment=repeat('XY',80);

run;

proc fsedit data=class_with_long_test screen=screen.longtext;

run;

/* if you are interested in learning fsedit, see http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi22/HANDSON/PAPER163.PDF */

Again, thanks for the comments,

Kim

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

I wonder if it is related to marking and non-markable area.

I know these are OUTPUT window but it may be a similar issue.

5024 - Error: You cannot mark in a non-markable area

6590 - Previous clipboard contents are pasted after copying from Output window 

AllanBowe
Barite | Level 11

Hi Kim!

I realise this is a super old post, but given that FSEDIT has no direct SAS replacement in the "new world order" I thought I'd take the opportunity to highlight that this capability (copy / paste, ctrl + c / ctrl + v) is totally valid in Data Controller.  You can copy paste from Excel, or any source, directly into the grid - and configure data validations to boot.

Best,

Allan

/Allan
SAS Challenges - SASensei
MacroCore library for app developers
SAS networking events (BeLux, Germany, UK&I)

Data Workflows, Data Contracts, Data Lineage, Drag & drop excel EUCs to SAS 9 & Viya - Data Controller
DevOps and AppDev on SAS 9 / Viya / Base SAS - SASjs

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation