BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
KAZ
Obsidian | Level 7 KAZ
Obsidian | Level 7

I am attempting to geocode a list of addresses which I do NOT have the zipcodes for.  Is there a way to do this?

I suspect I will need to first populate a zipcode. All addresses are in the US. I could go to the US Postal Site (https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupAction!input.action) and enter them one by one but I suspect there is a more elegant way to utilize this service.

For example, how would I geocode?

100 SAS Campus Drive

Cary, NC

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KAZ
Obsidian | Level 7 KAZ
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for the input.  Little did I know PROC GEOCODE handles this situation already.  All I needed is METHOD=STREET and NOZIP options.  PROC GEOCODE does not require the zip code for street level geocoding as long as the city and state are provided.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

KAZ,

There are a number of commercial products that will address this for you.  For instance, if you feed your addresses through the product at

http://zipcodedownload.com/Solutions/Zip-Code-Software

if will provide you the zip code and the longitude and latitude of its centroid.

If your organization does any mass mailings, they likely have a product already.

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

ballardw
Super User

For one thing, make sure the entire address is in one record.

Depending on the precision you need you might be able to use the ADDRESSCITYVAR option in proc geocode if city level will work for your project.

KAZ
Obsidian | Level 7 KAZ
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for the input.  Little did I know PROC GEOCODE handles this situation already.  All I needed is METHOD=STREET and NOZIP options.  PROC GEOCODE does not require the zip code for street level geocoding as long as the city and state are provided.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation