BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
chipp635
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi, I am trying to identify the specific variables that are found in dataset1 but not in dataset2. Proc compare can find the common ones but does not list the ones that are distinct:

proc compare data=data1 (obs=0) compare=data2(obs=0);

run;

How can I find the unique variables?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

@chipp635 wrote:

Hi, I am trying to identify the specific variables that are found in dataset1 but not in dataset2. Proc compare can find the common ones but does not list the ones that are distinct:

run;

I think you may not be researching the appropriate syntax:

When I run this on my data sets:

proc compare data=ipp.hd1_2014(obs=0) 
             compare=ipp.hd457_2014 (obs=0)
           listbasevar listcompvar  
;
run;

I get (as expected) in the output

Listing of Variables in IPP.HD1_2014 but not in IPP.HD457_2014                                    

Variable  Type  Length  Label                                                                     

GSpec     Char       1  GC Specimen Site                                                          

Listing of Variables in IPP.HD457_2014 but not in IPP.HD1_2014                                    

Variable          Type  Length  Informat     Label                                                

ACCESSION_NUMBER  Char      16  $16.         Record Identifier                                    
ORACE             Char      12  $STD_ORACE.                                                       

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User

I have some example code on that here. I don't find PROC COMPARE particularly useful - they could do a lot to improve it.

I have two demo codes that are useful to me:

create a table that shows which variables are in which datasets:

https://gist.github.com/statgeek/3b57ae085d9f7a36a2d95c15f04e72e6

Identifiers variables in one data set and not in another:

https://gist.github.com/statgeek/e0b98c4627aa31a567e5

@chipp635 wrote:

run;

Thanks.

chipp635
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks. Would it be possible to do it across multiple datasets and form a table of lets say:

Data1 Data2 Data3 Data4 

var1    var1    var1   var1 

var2    var2    var2   var2

var3    var3   var3

var4

where matching variables are listed in the same order but distinct ones are listed additionally as well?

Reeza
Super User

That's almost exactly what the first program does. 

@chipp635 wrote:

Thanks. Would it be possible to do it across multiple datasets and form a table of lets say:

Data1 Data2 Data3 Data4 

var1    var1    var1   var1 

var2    var2    var2   var2

var3    var3   var3

var4

where matching variables are listed in the same order but distinct ones are listed additionally as well?

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20
/*create a uncommon variable for test purpose*/
data w;
set sashelp.class;
_name=name;
run;

data uncommon;
if _n_=1 then do;
 dcl hash H (dataset:"sashelp.vcolumn(where=(libname='SASHELP' and memname='CLASS' ))") ;
   h.definekey  ("name") ;
    h.definedone () ;
 end;
set sashelp.vcolumn(where=(libname='WORK' and memname='W'));
if h.check() ne 0;
keep name;
run;
ballardw
Super User

@chipp635 wrote:

run;

I think you may not be researching the appropriate syntax:

When I run this on my data sets:

proc compare data=ipp.hd1_2014(obs=0) 
             compare=ipp.hd457_2014 (obs=0)
           listbasevar listcompvar  
;
run;

I get (as expected) in the output

Listing of Variables in IPP.HD1_2014 but not in IPP.HD457_2014                                    

Variable  Type  Length  Label                                                                     

GSpec     Char       1  GC Specimen Site                                                          

Listing of Variables in IPP.HD457_2014 but not in IPP.HD1_2014                                    

Variable          Type  Length  Informat     Label                                                

ACCESSION_NUMBER  Char      16  $16.         Record Identifier                                    
ORACE             Char      12  $STD_ORACE.                                                       

chipp635
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you!

I was missing the listbasevar listcompvar code.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation