BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
renjithr
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I am trying to FTP a mainframe dataset in .csv format to a ftp location.I used the extension as .csv in the mainframe sas code.The problem is when I open the file in the ftp server(file opens in excel) one record is spread over

multiple rows.

eg:I need the data to be like this:

John California Los Angeles

instead the data is opening in excel like this

john

california

los angeles

I tried to correct this by using the text-to-column option in excel,but it does not help.I think this something to do with the way I ftp data from mainframe to the ftp location.

Below is the code I ran to FTP the file:

%MACRO MCASPLT(MCA1,FNME1,F1);

DATA _NULL_;

%LET TEXT_FLG=N;

%PUT "TEXT FLG B4 LOOP:" &TEXT_FLG;

SET DATAOT1.NBARI;

IF MCA = "&MCA1" THEN DO;

CALL SYMPUT('TEXT_FLG', 'Y');

%PUT "TEXT FLG IN LOOP:" &TEXT_FLG;

FILE &FNME1  DSD DLM=",";

PUT VCA  ADMDT DISDT ADMTYPE_NM ADMSRC_NM DISP_NM AGE

ED_IND PAT_ENC_CSN_ID MDC SCHED EXPIRED BASECLASS SEX

LOS  BMI35 HSP_ACCOUNT_ID

ADT_PATIENT_STAT_C PAT_CLASS  INP_ADM_DT

;

END;

RUN;

%IF &TEXT_FLG  =  Y  %THEN %DO;

%LET OUT_LRECL=3000;

%LET CD=fff\ggg\fdfdf\TEST;

%LET HLQO=AAAA.Y3012.XAAA.&F1..TXTOUT;

%LET OUT_NAME=XAAA.&F1..CSV;

FILENAME NCHS01 "&HLQO" DISP=SHR;

FILENAME NCHS FTP

"&OUT_NAME"

&HOST_PORT_USER_PASS

CD = "&CD"

LRECL = &OUT_LRECL

;

RUN;

DATA _NULL_;

INFILE NCHS01 SHAREBUFFERS;

FILE NCHS;

INPUT;

PUT _INFILE_;

RUN;

%END;

%MEND;

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Ksharp
Super User

Did you try the BINARY  ftp option when you use FILENAME FTP ?

BINARY

is fixed-record format. Thus, all records are of size LRECL with no line delimiters.

Data is transferred in image (binary) mode.

The BINARY option overrides the value of RECFM= in the FILENAME FTP

statement, if specified, and forces a binary transfer.

Alias: RECFM=F

Interaction: If you specify the BINARY option and the S370V or S370VS option,

then SAS ignores the BINARY option.

NYSPhil
Calcite | Level 5

The problem is that ODS CSV generates a hex '15' to separate records, and this hex character does not translate well when copying data from mainframe to servers.  I add RS=NONE to my ODS statement when generating a CSV file on the mainframe.  This forces SAS to write a separate line of data for each report line.  You can then transfer your CSV file down to the server as a plain text file.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

There are a number of ways to deal with this.

1) Without changing your SAS code you can open the file from within Excel and then tell it what character to use as a delimiter.

If you use a different extension than .csv then Excel will normally NOT try to import it without first giving you the option to specify format and control how it treats the columns.  This is what I normally do as Excel has nasty habit of removing leading zeros from character values that look like number as other worse modifications to your data.

2) I do not see ODS CSV in your sample code.  You seem to be writing the data using FILE statement with a comma delimiter.  Commas should translate normally using ASCII FTP mode mode.  Where is the '15' coming from?  Is it on every line? between every field?

3) If the issue really is that the commas are appearing as '15'x then could add a line in your data step that is pulling from the FTP server and writing to a local file to translate that character.  For example this will translate '15'x into comma.

_infile_ = translate(_infile_,',','15'x);

Newbie_SAS
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you, NYSPhil. Option RS=NONE worked magic for me.

I am using XMITIP to send ODS CSV file created on mainframe as email. Without RS option, lines were breaking incorrectly when i open the attachment.

Thanks once again!

Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Why not write directly into the FTP file from the first datastep?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 6 in conversation