BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Iron_grief
Calcite | Level 5
I am quiet new to SAS and I apologize in advance if it is a silly question. I am trying to obtain estimated proportions for a categorical variable, but it seems that I can only get confidence interval if a specify a grouping variable. Suppose I have catVAR1 whose proportion is 0.20, I want to adjust the proportion for age and gender. I have to put gender into the CLASS statement and in the LSMEANS statement of the GLM procedure, like this:

PROC GLM;
CLASS gender;
MODEL catVAR1 = gender age;
LSMEANS gender / CL;
RUN;

This way i get the proportions of catVAR1 for males and females. What if I want the overall proportion in the population, only adjusted for age and gender? if I remove gender from the LSMEANS statement, I get the adjusted proportion but not the CI.
Thanks in advance.

Iron.
3 REPLIES 3
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
You are using the wrong statistical procedure; GLM assumes normal distribution on the residuals. You need to be using PROC LOGISTIC.

Doc Muhlbaier
Duke
Iron_grief
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks for your reply, but what about this?

http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi31/140-31.pdf

Example 6 page 5, they use SURVEYREG to obtain adjusted proportion.
Also, does the SURVEYLOGISTIC procedure have a ESTIMATE statement?

Best regards. Message was edited by: Iron_grief
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
I've never used SURVEYREG. I did look at the example and saw that the sample size was nearly 8000. When your sample size is that large, the Central Limit Theorem allows you to use a linear regression procedure when a categorical regression procedure might be more appropriate.

SAS Innovate 2025: Save the Date

SAS Innovate 2025 is scheduled for May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. Sign up to be first to learn about the agenda and registration!

Save the date!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

SAS Training: Just a Click Away

Ready to level-up your skills? Choose your own adventure.

Browse our catalog!

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation