BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Iron_grief
Calcite | Level 5
I am quiet new to SAS and I apologize in advance if it is a silly question. I am trying to obtain estimated proportions for a categorical variable, but it seems that I can only get confidence interval if a specify a grouping variable. Suppose I have catVAR1 whose proportion is 0.20, I want to adjust the proportion for age and gender. I have to put gender into the CLASS statement and in the LSMEANS statement of the GLM procedure, like this:

PROC GLM;
CLASS gender;
MODEL catVAR1 = gender age;
LSMEANS gender / CL;
RUN;

This way i get the proportions of catVAR1 for males and females. What if I want the overall proportion in the population, only adjusted for age and gender? if I remove gender from the LSMEANS statement, I get the adjusted proportion but not the CI.
Thanks in advance.

Iron.
3 REPLIES 3
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
You are using the wrong statistical procedure; GLM assumes normal distribution on the residuals. You need to be using PROC LOGISTIC.

Doc Muhlbaier
Duke
Iron_grief
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks for your reply, but what about this?

http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi31/140-31.pdf

Example 6 page 5, they use SURVEYREG to obtain adjusted proportion.
Also, does the SURVEYLOGISTIC procedure have a ESTIMATE statement?

Best regards. Message was edited by: Iron_grief
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
I've never used SURVEYREG. I did look at the example and saw that the sample size was nearly 8000. When your sample size is that large, the Central Limit Theorem allows you to use a linear regression procedure when a categorical regression procedure might be more appropriate.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation