BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Shivi82
Quartz | Level 8

Dear Team,

I think this should be an easy fix however i cant figure out a solution. Have tried searching on the forum as well and tried what was suggested however still cant get the desired resolution.

I am trying to add data stored in excel file in my systems D drive.

Please see the code along:

PROC IMPORT DATAFILE="/D:\Shivi\To & Fro Analysis\BookingCombined.xlsx"
      OUT=WORK.data
      DBMS=XLSX
      REPLACE;
RUN;

Evertime this error throws an error:

"ERROR: Physical file does not exist". Request you to please suggest what is the miss.

Regards, Shivi

7 REPLIES 7
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

This path:

"/D:\Shivi\To & Fro Analysis\BookingCombined.xlsx"

Is invalid, may just be that there is an extra / at the beginning, try:

"D:\Shivi\To & Fro Analysis\BookingCombined.xlsx"

But make sure that D:\Shivi\To & Fro Analysis

Is a valid path, and is accessible to SAS, and that in that folder there is a file called: BookingCombined.xlsx

If your using University Edition, look on the specific UE forum, as there are many posts about it.

Also, try to avoid typing all in upper case.

Shivi82
Quartz | Level 8

Hi There,

I checked starting instructions with SAS university edition and they have categorically mentioned to use "/" at the begining hence i used the same.

Thanks, Shivi

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Ah, you see its useful to post the question in teh right forum them.  As you are using University Edition - which is different to the version most of us use, you will need to supply a correct URL to the path, so the D:\ part would be invalid.  You can find a lot of these posts by using the search box on the main page.  Here for example is a post which explains how to import a file into UE:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/How-to-Import-an-Excel-File-to-SAS-University...

You will note that UE needs something like:

"/folders/myfolders/xyz.xlsx" 

and that your file be placed in the area accessible to UE - which doesn't use local network mappings like D:.

Reeza
Super User
1. Set up shared drive call myfolders. It needs to be called exactly that in lower case and set up on the VM. Read the installation instructions.
2. Move file to shared drive location
3. Access using unix path, because SAS is running on a unix VM, so /folders/myfolders/my-file.xlsx
Shivi82
Quartz | Level 8

Dear Reeza,

thanks for helping on this one.

While i was watching the step by step instructional video for university edition it also promoted me to follow the same process which you have outlined below.

Apologies if this sounds crazy but i have not worked on unix environment ever so what i understand is that do i need to get in touch with my IT team to have a virtual machine or VM ware installed on my machine & thereafter i can create the required folder structure.

Kindly advice.

Regards, Shivi

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Hi,

University Edition is already installed on a VM.  You ned to access the VM and put your file on a folder on that Virtual Machine.  Please see the link I posted and the help documentation provided by SAS:

http://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/faq/data_access_import.htm

http://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/faq/shared_folder_access_existing.htm

Shivi82
Quartz | Level 8

Hi RW9 & Reeza,

My sincere apologies and seems like i have done one of the dumbest things in my life. While what i was thinking was a SAS Studio it was SAS OnDemand application hence i was not able to upload data as you were describing.

This triggered me when i was not able to locate the SAS Studio folder on my desktop. All this confusion was because i had always been using SAS 9.2 and 9.3 versions or SAS EGuide or Miner and this seems like all together a different fascia.

Once again apologies and thanks for extending support.

Regards, Shivi

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation