retain CC1-CC177;

array CC(177) CC1-CC177;

array DD(177) $ DD1-DD177;

do i=1 to 177;

percent=CC(i)/CC(_n_);

DD(i)=cats(CC(i),"(",put(percent, percent8.1),")");

end;

run;

Can anyone let me know what's wrong with the code here? I keep getting messages like

ERROR 124-185: The variable CC has already been defined.

ERROR 68-185: The function CC is unknown, or cannot be accessed.

10 REPLIES 10
Reeza
Super User

Do you have a variable named CC in your ID_CC dataset? Also make sure you have only 177 observations in your ID_CC dataset.

It's also easiest if you post the log from your code with the errors.

data RESULT;

set ID_CC;

by ID;

retain CC1-CC177;

array CC_LIST(177) CC1-CC177;

array DD_LIST(177) $ DD1-DD177;

do i=1 to 177;

percent=CC_LIST(i)/CC_LIST(_n_);

DD(i)=cats(CC_LIST(i),"(",put(percent, percent8.1),")");

end;

run;

KellyW1117
Calcite | Level 5

Hello Reeza,

Sorry for the confusion. In my ID_CC dataset, I have two variables (ID and CC). The CC can be ranged from 1-177 but the observations are way more than 177 (approximately 80,000)

Astounding
PROC Star

That should be the answer then.  It's illegal to name an array using the same name as an existing variable.  Just change the array name.

On a similar note, if you name an array using the same name as a function, the function is disabled for the duration of the DATA step.  References to that name always refer to the array for the duration of the DATA step.

Good luck.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

First, I suggest to use curly brackets to adress individual array elements; this avoids the confusion with a possible function name.

Second, get a count of the observations in your dataset. Using _N_ as an array index is VERY dangerous.

Third, what in $DEITY's name do you want to achieve?

You could also post the ouput of proc contents run on your ID_CC dataset.

KellyW1117
Calcite | Level 5

These are the exact codes I used. In this case, mhn is id.

data RESULT_PRE;

set MEMBER_CC;

by mhn;

retain CC1-CC177;

if first.mhn then do i=1 to 177;

CC_LIST(i)=0;

end;

CC_LIST(CC)=1;

if last.mhn then output;

run;

data RESULT;

set RESULT_PRE;

array HCC_LIST(177) $ HCC1-HCC177;

do i=1 to 177;

HCC_LIST(i)=cats(CC_LIST(i), "(", put(CC_LIST(i)/CC_LIST(_n_), percent8.1), ")");

end;

run;

The log result is way too big, I'm attaching the key errors below:

NOTE: Division by zero detected at line 22 column 22.

WARNING: Limit set by ERRORS= option reached.  Further errors of this type will not be printed.

ERROR: Array subscript out of range at line 22 column 23.

NOTE: Mathematical operations could not be performed at the following places. The results of the operations have been set to

missing values.

Each place is given by: (Number of times) at (Line):(Column).

30798 at 22:22   30798 at 23:52  

KellyW1117
Calcite | Level 5

I'm trying to accomplish by counting unique cc and put them in matrix form. I would like my result looks like

CC     1                        2            3        .....   177

1     125(100%)          25(20%)

In other words, how many have CC1 also have CC2..CC177 and individual percentage.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Hi,

Sorry, not totally clear on your logic, so hopefully this helps.  I would first categorise the data, i.e. so you know that an ID has the 1-2 match, then you can simple sum these and transpose the results, something like:

data have;

length id $2. cc 8;

input id $ cc;

datalines;

a 1

a 2

a 3

b 1

b 2

c 1

;

run;

proc sql;

create table INTER as

select  A.ID,

strip(put(A.CC,best.))||" to "||strip(put(B.CC,best.)) as RES

from    WORK.HAVE A

left join WORK.HAVE B

on      A.ID=B.ID

and     (B.CC = A.CC + 1 or (A.CC=1 and B.CC=1));

quit;

proc sql;

create table INTER2 as

select  RES,

count(ID) as NUM

from    INTER

group by RES;

quit;

ballardw
Super User

This following code structure is invalid when the number of records exceeds the size of the array declared:

That is why you get the "array out of bounds". As soon as you get to record 178 and _n_=178 there is no array element 178.

I think you might want to provide example of your input data with maybe 4 instead of 177 values and what you want the output to be.

Reeza
Super User

That shouldn't happen, at worst you may have less than 177 because there wasn't a value present. The table comes from a proc corr output:

The original question was on SO and I suggested Kelly move it here as I think s/he requires more help than possible on SO.

proc - Two Way Transpose SAS Table - Stack Overflow

I am trying to create a two way transposed table. The original table I have looks like

id      cc 1       2 1       5 1       40 2       55 2       2 2       130 2       177 3       20 3       55 3       40 4       30 4       100

I am trying to create a table that looks like

CC        CC1     CC2…  …CC177 1         264     5        0 2         0      132       6 … … 177       2        1      692

In other words, how many id have cc1 also have cc2..cc177..etc

The number under ID is not count; an ID could range from 3 digits to 5 digits ID or with numbers such as 122345ab78

Is it possible to have percentage display next to each other?

CC CC1 % CC2 %… …CC177 1 264 100% 5 1.9% 0 2 0 132 6 … … 177 2 1 692 

If I want to change the CC1 CC2 to characters, how do I modify the arrays? Eventually, I would like my table looks like

CC Dell Lenovo HP Sony Dell Lenovo HP Sony 

The order of the names must match the CC number I provided above. CC1=Dell CC2=Lenovo, etc. I would also want to add percentage to the matrice. If Dell X Dell = 100 and Dell X Lenovo = 25, then Dell X Lenovo = 25%.

KellyW1117
Calcite | Level 5

Hello everyone,

Thanks for everyone's help. I have posted more detail on my code. The attached link is what I want my tables look like.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation