BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hello,

Can you please clarify when input with double trailing sign is released from the buffer (I'm using SAS 9.2)?

In SAS Help it says:

SAS releases the record that is held by a double trailing @

immediately if the pointer moves past the end of the input record

immediately if a null INPUT statement executes (input);

when the next iteration of the DATA step begins if an INPUT statement with a single trailing @ executes later in the DATA step: (input @);

BUT it seems to me that the record is also released from the buffer when an input
(different than null input and without a single trailing) executes later in DATA step.

consider this example, where I expected to have more than 2 observations in the data set, but it's not the case (the data set has only 2 observations):

data test;
infile datalines _infile_=try;
retain try;
put "BEFORE " try;
input a b c @@ ;
put "BETWEEN " try;
input d e ;
put "AFTER " try;
datalines;
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 567 308 12
12 890 456 0987 8765 5
;

Thank you,
Marius
13 REPLIES 13
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
That is true because you are executing the second INPUT which is coded differently, with no trailing "@@" specification. Also, if you expect multiple observations, then you must perform explicit OUTPUT statements executions in your code, as revealed in your post.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thank you, Scott.

So the true statement should be:

SAS releases the record that is held by a double trailing @

immediately if a null INPUT statement executes (input) ; OR AN INPUT WITHOUT ENDING WITH SINGLE OR DOUBLE TRAILING SIGN

Is this correct?

Marius
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
You must treat each statement individually, as documented. So yes, unless you specify another INPUT statement with some specified syntax, the "@@" will hold it with the next DATA step pass. And so if you code another INPUT statement (one or more actually) then the behavior will follow based on the later statement(s) defined -- which means that you could code another statement with another double or single or no trailing "@" to achieve some specific behavior, as desired.

Refer to the SAS Language DOC for each of the different types of coding techniques available.

And, also don't forget about the explicit OUTPUT statement as compared to coding none.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
rajeshm
Quartz | Level 8

is there any possibility of reading x value 9 and y value missing here.

with missover option: compatability issues

with truncover option ; inifinite loop

with shorter records in input, we are able use missover and getting the results. I need the same kind of option in this case.

program

data pairs;

infile datalines truncover;

input X Y @@ ;

datalines;

1 2 5 7 9

;

run;

;

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

Double trailing @@ and MISSOVER are incomparable INFILE statement options.

If you want this to work as I think you do you can add a . for the missing value or use EOF option to resolve the LOSTCARD.

data pairs;
   infile datalines eof=eof;
   input X Y @@ ;
   eof: output;

datalines;
1 2 5 7 9
;;;;
   run;
rajeshm
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks a lot . very very helpful answer.

rajeshm
Quartz | Level 8

hi,

could you pls help me in this.

CharlotteCain
Quartz | Level 8

Hi John @

Master

Can you please explain why this is failing and the fix when the data has many records. I understand EOF will fail the first time and flow over default behaviour takes effect.

/* Not properly executing*/

data pairs;

input X Y @@ ;

eof: output;

datalines;

1 2 5 7 9

2 3 4 5 6

;;;;

run;

By the way, I have begin to read and understand(try) each and every post of yours in communities here, but i am unable to do an easy seach to all your posts on SAS -L.  I'd appreciate if you could share.

Many Thanks,

Charlotte

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

It depends on what is "correct".  What do you expect the result should be.  The program pairs 9 from line 1 and 2 from line 2.  and "incorrectly" outputs missing for both X and Y when everything is Paried.

Perhaps this is more correct.

data pairs;
   input X Y @@;
   output;

return;
   eof:

if not missing(x) then output;

datalines;
1 2 5 7 9
2 3 4 5 6
;;;;
   run;

On SAS-L I've used two different gmail ids datanull and iebupdte.

CharlotteCain
Quartz | Level 8

Hi, Thank you again. This expected result is to take the missing value without having to jump to the next line and read 2 pairing with 9 to complete a full pair in each observation. Desired results:

1  2

5  7

9  .

2 3

4  5

6 .

and so on please.

the latest program results of yours is:

1  2

5  7

9  2 /* to be corrected

3  4

5  6

Ksharp
Super User

Hi Charlotte,

Long time no see . What is up to you now ?

@@ can't do that . You need a special technique :  truncover + do while() .

data pairs;
   infile datalines truncover;
   input X Y @;
   do while (X ne . or Y ne .)     ;
    output;
    input X Y @;
   end;
   datalines; 
1 2 5 7 9
2 3 4 5 6
;;;;
   run;

Xia Keshan

CharlotteCain
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Xia, Thank you so much for the courtesy and that's very kind of you. I took some time off as it has begun to get sunny and warmer, so went for a nice sunny holiday in Southern Europe. Well, got burnt though Smiley Happy  I only got back to work this week. Thanks as always and ever for all your help. I will never ever forget each one and will always value them, I promise!. I have just started learning SAS seriously and of course I would reach out to you here or offline directly every-time I run into some emergency needing your help when it matters at work.

Thanks for the solution Xia. I remember you telling me you were starting to get busy. Well, in that case I will only bother you for help during the weekends or late evenings at your convenience Smiley Happy.

I hope you are doing well and all's well in Beijing.

Peace,

Charlotte 

Ksharp
Super User

Thanks Charlotte. I admired you have holiday . I have nothing but busy things to do .

Best

Xia Keshan

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 6 in conversation