BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
NAwasthi
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi All,

Not sure if I am putting this in right group, please route me to right group if it is not the correct one.

We want to set up a mechanism to load PGP encrypted data set in SAS Office Analytics servers. Does SAS provides a capability to decrypt the files.

Regards,

Nishant

8 REPLIES 8
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Are you aware that SAS has its own encryption capabilities for datasets? It would be a lot easier than trying to use third-party encryption and you can even go as far as restricting access to SAS data libraries:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/seclibag/66930/HTML/default/viewer.htm#bookinfo.htm

Regarding PGP - I don't think SAS can decrypt these directly. However I understand you can configure WINZIP to use PGP so you could use WINZIP tools to indirectly decrypt. If you are working on Unix then no doubt there would be third-party tools to help you here as well.

NAwasthi
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks, I will go through this and will post my findings.
NAwasthi
Fluorite | Level 6

Please correct me if I am wrong, the current blog says how to encrypt the SAS dataset but I am looking for a functionality where  SAS procs  can be use to import pgp/aes encrypted external file (delimited file either CSV or text file) in SAS. 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

From my experience with such tools I guess that a pgp commandline tool can be used as a filter (eg pgp -parameters < encrypted_csv_file will send the decrypted file to standard output).

In such a case, it is best (IMHO) to define a filename pipe where the decryption process is coded into the physical filename (see above). When you use such a filename in an infile statement, the decryption is done on the fly and the decrypted data is handed over to SAS as if you directly read a plain, unencrypted file.

You need to have XCMD enabled for this to work.

NAwasthi
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Kurt,

Thanks for the response.

Does this means that encrypted file can be placed on SAS server(Unix box), PGP command line Tool will decrypt the file and the file can be used by SAS,. Is my iunderstanding is correct?

If that is correct then we are not using SAS at all, it is purely based on PGP commandline tool.

REgards,

Nishant 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@NAwasthi wrote:

Hi Kurt,

Thanks for the response.

Does this means that encrypted file can be placed on SAS server(Unix box), PGP command line Tool will decrypt the file and the file can be used by SAS,. Is my iunderstanding is correct?

If that is correct then we are not using SAS at all, it is purely based on PGP commandline tool.

REgards,

Nishant 

Well, since SAS does not have a built-in tool for PGP decryption, you need to use an external one. But you can start/control that decryption process from within SAS, either by running the CLI tool with call system or the x statement, or by directly using it as a filter in a filename pipe.

NAwasthi
Fluorite | Level 6
Please correct me if I am wrong, the current blog says how to encrypt the
SAS dataset but I am looking for a functionality where SAS procs can be
use to import pgp/aes encrypted external file (delimited file either CSV or
text file) in SAS.

##- Please type your reply above this line. Simple formatting, no
attachments. -##

--
This email and any attachments may contain information that is proprietary,
confidential and/or privileged and for the sole use of the intended
recipients(s)
only.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by return
email and delete all copies of this email and any attachments. Ahold and/or
its
subsidiaries shall neither be liable for the inaccurate or incomplete
transmission
of the information contained in this email or any attachments, nor for any
delay
in its receipt. To the extent this email is intended to create any legal
obligation,
the obligation shall bind only the contracting entity and not any other
entity within
the Ahold Group.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation