BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
aivoryuk
Calcite | Level 5

Hi I would like to create a new variable based on the result of a array. so it will loop through 10 variables and if the variables match where the variable is like 'RR' then the new variable will show a 1 or a zero.

This is the code I have so far.

data year2012;
set exphandsql;
if total_turnover = . then total_turnover = 0;

array R_indicator(10) Reason_Code_1-Reason_Code_10;

do i = 1 to 10 ;
     if R_indicator =:'RR' then <new variable>= '1' ;
else <new variable>='0';
  end;
  drop i;

run;

It doesn't seem to working properly.

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

My primary concern is how you construct your "new variable". Is it one "new variable" for each different "Reason_Code", or just ONE "new variable" for all of them, and if either of "Reason_Code" starts with 'RR', the "new variable" will be 1, otherwise will be 0?

If it is the former, I think has offered an answer; if it is the latter, try this:

data year2012;
set exphandsql;

new_variable='0';

do i = 1 to 10 ;
     new_variable=ifn(R_indicator =:'RR', '1', new_variable) ;

end;
  drop i;

run;

Or more efficiently:

new_variable='0';

do i = 1 to 10 ;
     if R_indicator =:'RR' then do; new_variable= '1'; leave;end;

end;

Haikuo

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Vince28_Statcan
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Aivoryuk,

There are potentially 2 errors. First, if Reason_Code_i variables are not of length 2, then R_indicator would actually be "RR      " aka white space padding up to the length of the variable. Use trim function to fix this

if trim(R_indicator)='RR' then newvar='1';

The second error is a logical one. Since you loop on all 10 codes and you have an else stement, the else statement will apply every step of the loop where the value isn't RR. Thus, unless trim(reason_code_10)='RR' you will always see 0.

To fix this, you can either remove it all together if you don't mind missing values instead of 0 or remove the else statement and add a if statement outside the loop. That is, something like

end;

if newvar=. then newvar=0;

Hope this helps

Vincent

Jaheuk
Obsidian | Level 7

when there is a RR in reason_code_10 in will work, else it will always be 0

test this:

data year2012;
set sashelp.class;

array  R_indicator(2) $ name sex;
array  Flag(2) ;

do i = 1 to 2 ;
     if R_indicator =: 'M' then flag=1 ;
        else flag=.;
  end;

test=nmiss(of flag(*)) ;

drop i ;
run;

when nothing is found all flag are missing

JAHEUK

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

My primary concern is how you construct your "new variable". Is it one "new variable" for each different "Reason_Code", or just ONE "new variable" for all of them, and if either of "Reason_Code" starts with 'RR', the "new variable" will be 1, otherwise will be 0?

If it is the former, I think has offered an answer; if it is the latter, try this:

data year2012;
set exphandsql;

new_variable='0';

do i = 1 to 10 ;
     new_variable=ifn(R_indicator =:'RR', '1', new_variable) ;

end;
  drop i;

run;

Or more efficiently:

new_variable='0';

do i = 1 to 10 ;
     if R_indicator =:'RR' then do; new_variable= '1'; leave;end;

end;

Haikuo

Keith
Obsidian | Level 7

@hai.kuo Am I going blind or did you add the last bit with the LEAVE statement in your original post, or post it in an edit?  I almost posted that exact solution, but decided to use UNTIL instead. Smiley Happy

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

LOL, Keith. I updated it within 1 minute, figured there should be no difference, guess I was wrong.

Keith
Obsidian | Level 7

I'll cancel that call with the opticians then...

Keith
Obsidian | Level 7

Your new_variable is being reset at every iteration of the loop, so it will only show a value of 1 if Reason_Code_10 begins with 'RR'.

The solution from solves this problem, another option is to put an UNTIL statement in the do loop so that it stops processing when 'RR' is encountered

do i=1 to 10 until (R_indicator{i}=:'RR');

Yet another possibility, if the letters 'RR' only occur at the start of the string (or you want to search for them anywhere in the string), is to drop the array completely and use the INDEX and CATX functions together.

new_variable=index(catx(',',of Reason_Code:),'RR')>0;

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

Inspired by 's second suggestion, here is one approach that only counts the starting 'RR',

new_variable=prxmatch('/\bRR/',catx(' ',of Reason_Code:))>0;

Haikuo

aivoryuk
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks guys that really helped as well helping my understanding

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation