BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
alawton
Calcite | Level 5

I was asked to create a grid of the combinations of any two diagnoses by unique claim (the grid would be set up like those old multiplication tables from elementary school). However the diagnoses exist in separate variables for primary diagnosis and secondary diagnosis; each observation is a unique claim. I want to identify the combinations so that combination A/B would be counted as the same as B/A. A simple proc tabulate would did not work because A/B and B/A were counted separately. I came up with a round-about way of doing it, but I feel there must be a more straight-forward approach. Can you help me get there? My longer code is:

proc sql;

create table claimsub as

select claims2.*,

t.Diagnosis as Diagnosis1,

t2.Diagnosis as Diagnosis2

from claims2

inner join tops2 t on claims2.diag1=t.diag1

inner join tops2 t2 on claims2.diag2=t2.diag1

union

select claims2.*,

t2.Diagnosis as Diagnosis1,

t.Diagnosis as Diagnosis2   

from claims2

inner join tops2 t on claims2.diag1=t.diag1

inner join tops2 t2 on claims2.diag2=t2.diag1;

quit;

proc sort data=claimsub;
by Diagnosis1 Diagnosis2;
run;

proc sort nodupkey data=claimsub out=claimsub2;
by claim;
run;

proc tabulate data=claimsub;
class Diagnosis2 Diagnosis1;
table Diagnosis2, Diagnosis1 * N = '';
run;

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Not sure I understand the problem, but if you want to make a triangular result matrix from PROC FREQ then sort the values in the two variables.

data want ;

set have ;

if diag1 > diag2 then do;  swap=diag1; diag1=diag2; diag2=swap; end;

drop swap;

run;

proc freq ;

tables diag1*diag2 ;

run;

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User

I may be missing something because this does look like a basic proc freq.

Can you post an example of what your data looks like?

Fugue
Quartz | Level 8

If I understand your data structure correctly (one row per claim, with two diagnostic variables), you can simply create two new variables and assign the "smallest" code to variable 1 and the "largest" code to variable 2.

Further, you could do all the processing in one PROC SQL step (no need to the proc sort or the proc tabulate) using GROUP BY and ORDER BY clauses.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Not sure I understand the problem, but if you want to make a triangular result matrix from PROC FREQ then sort the values in the two variables.

data want ;

set have ;

if diag1 > diag2 then do;  swap=diag1; diag1=diag2; diag2=swap; end;

drop swap;

run;

proc freq ;

tables diag1*diag2 ;

run;

alawton
Calcite | Level 5

This answer works because my variables are numeric and solves my dilemma here. But taking the thought a step further, what should I do if my variables were character instead numeric (diag1desc/diag2desc instead of diag1/diag2)?

claimdiag1diag1descdiag2diag2descDiagnosis1Diagnosis2
21499161030981PROLONG POSTTRAUM STRESS30981PROLONG POSTTRAUM STRESS06 - 30981 - PROLONG POSTTRAUM STRESS06 - 30981 - PROLONG POSTTRAUM STRESS
216531478311DEPRESSIVE DISORDER NEC30000ANXIETY STATE NOS05 - 311 - DEPRESSIVE DISORDER NEC02 - 30000 - ANXIETY STATE NOS
225098371311DEPRESSIVE DISORDER NEC311DEPRESSIVE DISORDER NEC05 - 311 - DEPRESSIVE DISORDER NEC05 - 311 - DEPRESSIVE DISORDER NEC
23746953430000ANXIETY STATE NOS30981PROLONG POSTTRAUM STRESS02 - 30000 - ANXIETY STATE NOS06 - 30981 - PROLONG POSTTRAUM STRESS
229156524311DEPRESSIVE DISORDER NEC30981PROLONG POSTTRAUM STRESS05 - 311 - DEPRESSIVE DISORDER NEC06 - 30981 - PROLONG POSTTRAUM STRESS
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

How would it make any difference if the DIAG variables were character?

alawton
Calcite | Level 5

Right again. Forgive me for misunderstanding the evaluation. Very helpful.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation