BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
KageKitsune28
Calcite | Level 5

Hello SAS Community,

I am working on analyzing a multiple response survey question.  It has seven possible selections and respondents were allowed to choose as many of the selections as applied to them.  Unfortunately, this has left me in a bit of an analysis bind.  The variable was sent to me as a character variable, and all the possible selections were concatenated into one long string.  So the variable values look something like:

1          010306

2          0204

3          01

4          0502

5          0205

6          01040507

As it is, this variable is not providing me with much information.  I would like to create a new variable for analysis, where if the original variable contained lets say 01somewhere in its string it would be counted as 1, 02 would be 2, etc.  Is there a way to subset observations into a new variable based on the whether it contains a specific character combination?

As always, I greatly appreciate your help  and expertise!

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Hi,

Something like:

data have;
id=1;result="010306"; output;
id=2;result="0204"; output;
id=3;result="01"; output;
id=4;result="0502"; output;
id=5;result="0205"; output;
id=6;result="01040507"; output;
run;

data want (drop=i);
  set have;
  array result_out{7};
  do i=1 to 7;
    if index(result,"0"||strip(put(i,best.)))>0 then result_out{i}=i;
  end;
run;

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

LOL, just noticed.  , you put yourself in a typical length trap. I learned it by reading one of books by

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

I would subtr() out each answer, and out put it to a common variable, which means some kind of transponing the data set.

Then counting can be done with whatever tool/procedure you like.

data want;

set have;

no = length(response);

do i =1 to no by 2;

single_response = substr(response,i,2);

output;

end;

keep response_id single_response;

run;

proc sql;

select single_response, count(*) as no_resp

from want

group by single_response

;

quit;

Data never sleeps
ballardw
Super User

If you a paying a company to administer your survey then I would address this issue with them to provide the data in another format. Many survey software options allow taking a multiple response question and exporting them as Q1_1 through Q1_n where n represents the number of responses as 0/1 coded dichotomous variables to indicate that choice was selected.

If order of response is not important to you, this may be what you are looking for:

data want;

set have;

q1_1 = (index(result,'01') >0);

q1_2 = (index(result,'02') >0);

q1_3 = (index(result,'03') >0);

/* continue obvious pattern*/

run;

If you have more than 10 response categories and get strings like 02031011 you need to add in some code to use boundaries of the 2 characters like

Q1_2 = (mod(index(result,'02'),2)=1);

This type of coding will assign 0 to those questions without responses which I find useful because a mean of the question will give a percent of respondents picking that choice and a sum the number that did plus you can get confidence intervals on the proportions.

If there is a skip pattern involved then only execute the code where the skip says the respondent should have answered the quesion.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation