BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Dear All,

This my first time in the forum and I thank you all for the support and help you are providing. I am an economist working with time series data. Many time series are only available at yearly basis and I need to convert them to monthly. I read the techical support however it is very confusing and sometimes not consistent. for example GDP is a flow not stock variable when reading the help menu it I noticed that in the examples given sometimes it uses OBSERVED=TOTAL and sometimes OBSERVED=AVERAGE. My question is which one I should use?

For stock variables such as FOREIGN RESRVES I am not sure how to write the procedure.
1-My first question is to help me with the procedure that should be used for converting flow variables and stock variables
2-my second question is about ratios. For example if I have yearly BUDGET DEFICIT/GDP (RATIO). Can I just convert the ratio to monthly ratios or do I need to convert DEFICIT and GDP separately then find the monthly ratios?

I am really stuck with this and is taking a lot of my time. I hope you can help so that I can move forward in my research.

Regards,

Ismail
2 REPLIES 2
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Suggested Google advanced search argument - may help you find relevant material available on the SAS support http://support.sas.com/ website.

+"time series" +stock +"flow specification" site:sas.com

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thank you Scott Barry,

I searched all the SAS support website, but it does not really help. It is still not clear as the examples given do not cover all the possible conversion methods.
For example how to convert ratios (A/B) to higher frequency?In this case usually there are 2 possibilities depending on wherther A and B are flows or stocks:

1-A and B are flows
2-A stock, B flow.

I hope someone can help.

Regards,

Ismail

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation