BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
G_I_Jeff
Obsidian | Level 7

Creating data step to input file dump. All variables are straight forward except for one containing space information. Examples of the data are:

1439.280M

The filed is 11 bytes long with a size identifier as the last character (k=kilobytes,m=megabytes,etc.) I need to convert these values to a common denominator (numeric field representing bytes) and remove the size identifier character. My attempt so far, with what I know (SPACE variable being the one I'm referencing in my post):

DATA FDREPORT;                    
 INFILE INFILE;                   
 INPUT @1  VOLSER   $6.           
       @8  DSNAME   $44.          
       @53 ARCYEAR  4.            
       @58 ARCJUL   3.            
       @62 SPACE    $11.          
       @74 CATALOG  $3.           
       @78 EXPYEAR  4.            
       @83 EXPJUL   3.            
       @87 RUNYEAR  4.            
       @92 RUNJUL   3.;           
 IF _N_ = 1 THEN DELETE;          
 IF INDEXC(SPACE,'K') THEN DO;    
    SPACE=TRANSLATE(SPACE,'','K');
    NUMBER=INPUT(SPACE,7.3)*1024; 
 END;                             
RUN;                              

This "seems" to be working from what I've run so far. So my questions are:

1. Is there a better way of doing this? I realize I will have to create multiple if statements for the different size characters (k,m,g,t,p). When I run a proc contents on the pdb, it lists the NUMBER field as TYPE NUM with a length of 8?
  2. The last two lines of the input are summary lines that I need to skip. Is there an easy way of accomplishing this?

6 REPLIES 6
ballardw
Super User

No suggestions on how to "better" read that somewhat odd numeric format.

By default SAS numeric variables are length 8, i.e. 8 bytes. That limits the number of significant digits that can be stored. You may want to check if the storage range needs to be considered for your application as this may be an issue with decimal portions of values.

Somewhat operating system dependent.

that can be stored in SAS numeric variables.
Significant Digits and Largest Integer by Length for SAS Variables under Windows
Length in Bytes
Largest Integer Represented Exactly
Exponential Notation
Significant Digits Retained

Is there any specific way from the data that your "summary" is indicated in the file? For instance if the "summary" line starts with the word "Total" you can check the input buffer with something like:

input @;
If _infile_ =: 'Total' then input; /* this would be the summary line*/
else do;
   input <your existing input statement>
   <other code executed for "valid" data>
   output; /*this output means only data from valid records gets output to the data set*/
end;

The input @ holds the input buffer. The _infile_ is a temporary variables SAS creates that holds the entire current input line of data. So you can examine it.

You may want to provide an actual example of what your last 3 or 4 rows of the infile looks like. Copy them using a plain text editor and paste the copied text into code box opened on the forum using the </> icon to preserve formatting of the text.

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

It would take some time for me to get this right, but could you do something like:

Read in the values as character;

Use REVERSE to get the alphabetic character at the front

Use SUBSTR to get the alphabetic character in one variable (var_1)

Use SUBSTR with no length argument to get the numeric characters in another variable (var_2)

Use REVERSE on var_2 to restore the original ordering

Use INPUT (var_2, best.) to get the mantissa into numeric format (var_3)

Define var_4 based on var_1 (k=1024, etc.

Multiply var_3 by var_4 to get var_5

Add them all up.

Don't know if this would also solve the issue of what is in the last two lines, but you could probably write some easy trapping code involving var_1 and var_2 to eliminate those records.

SteveDenham

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Convert the beginning part to a number and then multiply by the right power. Are the numbers using 1024 or 1000 as the units?

data have;
  input space $11.;
  size=inputn(space,cats('comma',length(space)-1,'.'));
  select (char(space,length(space)));
    when ('K') size=size*1024;
    when ('M') size=size*1024**2;
    when ('G') size=size*1024**3;
    otherwise ;
  end;
cards;
1439.280M
123.45G
1245B
;
Obs    space                     size

1     121.440K             124354.56
 2     50,956.360K        52179312.64
 3     1439.280M        1509194465.28
 4     123.45G        132553428172.80
 5     1245B                  1245.00
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19
This is a much better method than my flipping things back and forth to extract the alphabetic part of the input string.

SteveDenham
G_I_Jeff
Obsidian | Level 7

Tom, these are mainframe storage numbers so I'm pretty sure they will by multiplied by 1024 due to binary storage fields. Thank you for your input and I believe this will help me along nicely.... if I can interpret it! 😁

G_I_Jeff
Obsidian | Level 7

Tom,

How would you suggest me getting a variable with YYYY with anther variable JJJ (julian date) into one recognized date field?

Var1 4.,  /*YYYY*/

Var2 3.  /*JJJ*/

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation