BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SSimonov
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi, i've been puzzled by this problem for some time already and half gave up on figuring it out.

Let's say our dataset includes two date variables A and B, and one is missing when other is not. A is in format ddmmmyyy, B is a numeric 4-digit year. For example:

A             |      B

01jan1990              .

.                   2003

.                  1996

08feb2017             .

When I coalesce them and assign to another variable C resulting values are in datetime format, similar to following(values are random, purely for illustration):

C

I want to leave year values as they are, but put 5-digit ones to iso8601 ([dd-mm-yyyy]).

Hoping for community's help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

A SAS Date value is a numerical value that is the count of days since 1/1/1960. You then can apply a SAS Date format to make such a count human readable when printing the value.

To create a variable that stores a mix of SAS Date values and year numbers doesn't feel like a good idea and will make working with such a variable just hard (i.e. when trying to sort the table by year). 

I believe it would be much better to convert the Year values to SAS Date values for a date on January 1. Function mdy() allows you to do this easily.

iso8601 has year first. I've used another SAS format that creates the dd-mm-yyyy pattern you've asked for ...but you could simply use another format if you want to change this (this is just how SAS prints the values).

Below some code that hopefully explains things to you. The last variable Mixed_Values_Formatted gives you what you've asked for but I wouldn't recommend to go down this route.  I'd go for SAS_Date_Value_Formatted.

data have;
  infile datalines truncover dsd;
  input a :date9. b;
  format a date9.;
  datalines;
01jan1990,.
08feb2017,.
; 

proc format;
  value mixed_vals
    low-2099 = [32.]
    other    = [ddmmyyD10.]
    ;
run;

data want;
  set have;

SAS_Date_Value=coalesce(a,mdy(1,1,b));

format SAS_Date_Value_Formatted ddmmyyD10.;
  SAS_Date_Value_Formatted=SAS_Date_Value;

Year_Number=coalesce(year(a),b);

Mixed_Values=coalesce(a,b);
  format Mixed_Values_Formatted mixed_vals.;
  Mixed_Values_Formatted=Mixed_Values;

run;

Patrick_0-1634958719092.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

A SAS Date value is a numerical value that is the count of days since 1/1/1960. You then can apply a SAS Date format to make such a count human readable when printing the value.

To create a variable that stores a mix of SAS Date values and year numbers doesn't feel like a good idea and will make working with such a variable just hard (i.e. when trying to sort the table by year). 

I believe it would be much better to convert the Year values to SAS Date values for a date on January 1. Function mdy() allows you to do this easily.

iso8601 has year first. I've used another SAS format that creates the dd-mm-yyyy pattern you've asked for ...but you could simply use another format if you want to change this (this is just how SAS prints the values).

Below some code that hopefully explains things to you. The last variable Mixed_Values_Formatted gives you what you've asked for but I wouldn't recommend to go down this route.  I'd go for SAS_Date_Value_Formatted.

data have;
  infile datalines truncover dsd;
  input a :date9. b;
  format a date9.;
  datalines;
01jan1990,.
08feb2017,.
; 

proc format;
  value mixed_vals
    low-2099 = [32.]
    other    = [ddmmyyD10.]
    ;
run;

data want;
  set have;

SAS_Date_Value=coalesce(a,mdy(1,1,b));

format SAS_Date_Value_Formatted ddmmyyD10.;
  SAS_Date_Value_Formatted=SAS_Date_Value;

Year_Number=coalesce(year(a),b);

Mixed_Values=coalesce(a,b);
  format Mixed_Values_Formatted mixed_vals.;
  Mixed_Values_Formatted=Mixed_Values;

run;

Patrick_0-1634958719092.png

SSimonov
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi, Patrick! The solution I eventually came to is similar to yours in a lot of ways. Formatting year to the SAS Date format first is something I had in mind too, but it seems I approached it in a wrong way. Very helpful insight, thank you.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation