BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
rjacko10
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

I'm trying to generate some conditional formatting in my proc tabulate table that will resemble the conditional formatting in MS Excel.

I want all the rows in my table to share the same formatting rule, however each row must only consider its own data.

e.g.

Row 1          1   2   3   2   1   2   3

Row 2          4   5   6   5   4   5   6

Row 3          7   8   9   8   7   8   9

In the example above I would want the lowest number of each row to be in RED, the middle number to be in ORANGE, and the highest number to be in YELLOW.

Therefore my proc format statement will not be based on values, but on percentiles of the data found in each row

i.e.

proc format;

value color          0-33%      = red

34-66%     = orange

67-100%   = yellow

Is this possible? If so how can I code this? And how do get SAS to treat each row's data independently?

Thank you very much for your help. I'm new to SAS and finding it quite difficult!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi,

You can do row level highlighting based on a column value in PROC REPORT. You would use a CALL DEFINE statement in a COMPUTE block. You might be able to use a user-deifned format, but you can't highlight based on percentage "on the fly" -- you would probably have to pre-calculate the value before the PROC REPORT step and/or calculate them in a COMPUTE block.

In my SAS Global Forum paper, I show an example of row level highlighting with PROC REPORT.

http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings13/366-2013.pdf

There's also an example of row level "banding" with PROC TABULATE, but the variable that sets the color for the band is a CLASS variable, not a numeric variable, which I why I think you'll have to go with PROC REPORT.

cynthia

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

I don't think there's a simple solution to your problem, you probably have to precalculate the fields you want highlighted and then highlight them.

Out of curiosity how would you go about this in Excel as well?

rjacko10
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Reeza. Do you know of a way to use separate values for each row of output? Something like below....

i.e.

[IF ROW=1 then..]

proc format;

value color1         1      = red

2      = orange

3      = yellow

[IF ROW=2 then..]

proc format;

value color2         4      = red

5      = orange

6      = yellow

For Excel I just highlight each row individually and select the conditional formatting colour scheme. I have to do this for each row, hence it can take a while depending on the number of rows...

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi,

You can do row level highlighting based on a column value in PROC REPORT. You would use a CALL DEFINE statement in a COMPUTE block. You might be able to use a user-deifned format, but you can't highlight based on percentage "on the fly" -- you would probably have to pre-calculate the value before the PROC REPORT step and/or calculate them in a COMPUTE block.

In my SAS Global Forum paper, I show an example of row level highlighting with PROC REPORT.

http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings13/366-2013.pdf

There's also an example of row level "banding" with PROC TABULATE, but the variable that sets the color for the band is a CLASS variable, not a numeric variable, which I why I think you'll have to go with PROC REPORT.

cynthia

Ksharp
Super User

As Cynthia point out, Traffic Light is a good choice .

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation