BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

I do not like the Citrix approach when that is not your standard desktop environment. For some reason SAS people are out of their mind for going into the confrontation with the major line of the ICT support and not wanting cooperation. Never mind you are having that situation. Trying to do a root cause analysis.

- Some users are working with the AMO so your basic approach is ok.

- No disabled items in the AMO menu-s so something other is missing.

- you checked the pre-reqs like VSTO. It is part of the deployment but could fail of wrong tests within the SAS-SDW.

There could be others as the SDW doe a check and when the MS-component is missing it will install those. The best option would be sure all pre-reqs are fullfilled

It could be something in the Windows registry being missing.

The easiest way to correct/verify that one is to use the switcher utility. 50822 - SAS® Add-In for Microsoft Office might appear in Outlook 2007 even if it was not selected du...       

---->-- ja karman --<-----
sasprofile
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks alot Jaap Karman for your prompt reply

All the users are accessing the SAS AMO from Citrix,AMO is not installed on the users machines.

so there are is no file called Switcherutility.exe.

and if i import the registry file from the link you provided,does it replaces only the affected registrty files or all files will be replaced with completed new registry files.

sasprofile
Quartz | Level 8

sorry for typ errors

Thanks alot Jaap Karman for your prompt reply

All the users are accessing the SAS AMO from Citrix,AMO is not installed on the users machines.

so there is no file called Switcherutility.exe.

and if i import the registry file from the link you provided,does it replaces only the affected registrty files or all files will be replaced with complete new registry files.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Your Citrix is a windows environment just like your local desktop.

At the Windows Citrix desktop the AMO is installed the switcher utility is part of the AMO installation and should be found at your Citrix Windows desktop.

IT is your WIndows Citrix desktop that is having issues/problems. Your Windows Citrix support guys should be the ones for solving this issue.

As far I knows that switcher utility is updating the current user registry settings not the ones of the local machine or all users.

The goal is being capable of having multiple versions of AMO on the same desktop with one Office version.

By that is must be capable of setting the user registry settings. You are knowing/understanding a little bit of Windows admin?

sasprofile
Quartz | Level 8

Jaap Karman,

Thank you so much for your reply

I have one doubt, When you are saying that siwtcherutility is part of the AMO installation which is installed on Windows Citrix desktop.

when AMO is kept on Ctrix desktop and when all the other users are able to see SAS Tab on SAS AMO why can't the other 3 users not able to see SAS Tab on same SAS AMO which is kept on Citrix Desktop.

When swicthherutilty is part of the SAS AMO which is on Citrix and updating those 3 users registry settings,then it should update all other users resgistry settings and it  SAS AMO should not work to any users who are accessing AMO from citrix.why its not working for those 3 users and why its working for all other users.

I have informed Citrix team to install vsto component on Citrix server level where AMO is installed and if it wont work that way then i told them to run swictherutilit.exe in the next step.

Please suggest what should i do,Its been 10days the issue is not resolved.even sas is not able to provide proper solution for this.

Thank you

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

The switcher utility is aimed to work at the running the user environment not the machine environment (Win registry).  The VSTO version dll-s are working at the machine level.

Citrix deployment is done for all users at the at the machine sometimes there are failures to bring that to the user environment.
40591 - SAS menus do not appear in Microsoft Office programs when SAS® Add-In 4.3 for Microsoft Offi...

35181 - Managing multiple installations of SAS® Add-In for Microsoft Office

SAS(R) 9.4 Intelligence Platform: Desktop Application Administration Guide, Fourth Edition (Manage Multiple Instances on a Single Host - AMO)

sasprofile
Quartz | Level 8

so according to you whatever the instructions i gave to Citrim team is that right or do i need to do something else to fix the issue.

I have informed Citrix team to install vsto component on Citrix server level where AMO is installed and if installing vsto compoenent wont work that

then i told them to run swictherutilit.exe in the next step at Citrix server level.

please let me know whether i did right or do need to do something else

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

The citric team can run that command, they do not have the user/password of your users do they?

So how would they run that command in the session of your user.  (?)  runas could be an option (asking password when not domain admin)

sasprofile
Quartz | Level 8

Why Citrix team needs user id/pwd,Citrix desktop environment is under control of Citrix team.

and they can simply go to the below switcherutility location and can run the command right in their Windows Citrix Deskptop environment.

C:\Program Files\SAS\x86\SASAddinforMicrosoftOffice\5.1\SwitcherUtility.exe

and also I am really confused which user id/pwd you are talking about.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Your citrix is a windows environment offering windows desktops.
When you have a windows desktop you are doing a login with your personal key and personal password.
Your Windows admin has a dedicated admin-user to control that environment creating the personal keys and personal passwords.

I cannot imagine windows environments working in some other approach.

The Citrix guys are doing that in a same way.  What is confusing with that?

Yes there are many Windows desktops introduced that is confusing. It started to say they got out of their mind with that.

sasprofile
Quartz | Level 8

All the users will be connecting to Citrix  with their own user/pwd and once they login they will launch from citrix whatever the app they want

like SAS AMO, SAS Enterprise guide.

so now Citrix team have to run the SwitcherUtility.exe on the Windows server itself where the Citrix Desktop has been kep right at below location.

C:\Program Files\SAS\x86\SASAddinforMicrosoftOffice\5.1\SwitcherUtility.exe

sasprofile
Quartz | Level 8

Jaap Karman,

In regards to discussion "Command to know which scripts using which Data" I have one question,I would really appreciate if you can help me.

actually We are removing one of the library from our sas environment,and there are lot of users who are using these libraries in their programs,most of the programs which are referring to that library i was able to find on the unix server using the command,but some of the users even though they are connecting from EG to server they might have saved programs on thier local machines.so Is there anyway that i can find the information of those programs those who have saved on thier pc's or Is there any batch file i can send it to the users so that they can update their programs.What are all available options in this situation.

please help

Thank you

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Send out a mail to all users and make them aware of the change, and provide the manual solution (how to change the libname) in the mail. Then they can fix it themselves in a New York Minute when they stumble across the old libname.

It costs your organisation much more if you try to set up a complicated find-and-replace mechanism that needs to be run remotely on all the client's machines. A slight glitch in that batch could wreak havoc, without you knowing until after the fact.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

You cannot find something your are not Responsible for so you shouldn't be Accountable. nice you are Concerned about it (Consulted) and are trying to Inform them well (although outside your influence).

It is about the RACI matrix that should be documented.

You can only held responsible for sources/code you can see and analyse. Not for anything users are doing themself on their own way. They probably even do not know what they are using when they are just running some parts of a Eguide project. That is like the Excel horror approach. As Kurt adviced: Mail the possible affected users about what and when you are doing that. An be covered by your managers.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation