BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hello all,

I'm a new SAS user on the mainframe.I have a dataset with rows of data. I need to format my output to be in columns. My current format is-
000001 MAILBOX ID=COMPANY#1
000002 BATCHID='DESCRIP#1'
000003 DSN=DATASETA
000001 MAILBOX ID=COMPANY#2
000002 BATCHID='DESCRIP#2'
000003 DSN=DATASETB

Target Output-
MAILBOX ID=COMPANY#1 BATCHID=DESCRIP#1 DSN=DATASETA
MAILBOX ID=COMPANY#2 BATCHID=DESCRIP#2 DSN=DATASETB

Could someone assist me? Thank you

I
1 REPLY 1
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
I would say that you have to objectives to accomplish here, as follows:

1) parse the input data using a DATA step and use a key variable to identify each unique "set" of rows (likely the first input data field as I see it). Explore the use of the SAS INPUT statement in your DATA step to read the first and second character fields (must use a RETAIN or better suggest using a DO UNTIL(EOF); / END loop instead to avoid the RETAIN stmt) and only increment the "set identifier" variable with each new input data field value "000001". Sample DATA step:

FILENAME INDATA "your_input_data_file_name";
DATA ;
INFILE INDATA ... END=EOF;
DO UNTIL(EOF);
* your INPUT and data interpretation logic goes here;
* ;
* your SAS OUTPUT logic goes here. ;
END;
STOP;
RUN;

2) sort your SAS temporary file by the "set identifier" variable.

3) explore using PROC TRANSPOSE to "horizontal-ize" your SAS temp file.

4) use PROC PRINT or some other PROC or DATA step technique to generate your "Target Output" - the key point here is that you can list your "transposed" variables as a generic prefix in your VAR statement with PROC PRINT. Sample PROC PRINT construct:

OPTIONS NOCENTER LS=MAX;
PROC PRINT U NOOBS...;
VAR your_transposed_variable_prefix: ; /* note the trailing colon char */
RUN;

For consideration, the SAS support http://support.sas.com/ website has SAS-hosted documentation and also supplemental technical code samples and conference topic-oriented papers, related to these SAS programming and data transformation techniques.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation