BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
I have 10 GB of data in a text file (formally external file). I have to load the text file into SAS Dataset. Which method of the below is best and why?
1. Using infile statement
2. Proc import method
2 REPLIES 2
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
You'd have to test to be sure.

If you use PROC IMPORT and need further data transformations, then you have to pass the data 4 times. You could do it with two passes by combining the data transformations in the same data step as the INFILE.

Beyond that, IMPORT is usually easier to set up and INFILE provides more control. If I were reading 10 GB, I'd go for control.
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
What is your SAS experience level and how complex is the input data? Is the list of input fields and their content consistent throughout (or at least the first "nn" rows) to use with PROC IMPORT? If you are to code and support the INFILE processing method, you will have the ultimate flexibility with defining, validating and shaping your resulting SAS file. These are but a few of the considerations to make a reasonable decision.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation