BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
yael
Quartz | Level 8

Hello

I intend to use PROC MEANS in order to get details (average, median, std, max, min) on 3 seperate groups. Is there any possibility

to check the difference between the groups using chi-square in this procedure? because I did not find it

Thanks a lot!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

Chi square is via proc freq

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User

Chi square is via proc freq

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

The chi-square test in PROC FREQ tests whether the proportions (or counts) in each cell of a one-way analysis of a discrete variable are significantly different. Is that your situation?

For a continuouis response variable, analysts often use PROC GLM to compare mean values across three or more groups.  The GLM output includes an OverallAnova table that shows the result of an F test which indicates whether the means of the groups are significantly different.  

yael
Quartz | Level 8

Hello @Rick_SAS

Thanks for your reply and also for the explanation

I actually need the chi-square test to test whether the proportions in a discrete variable are significantly different. But the information about the PROC GLM is important to me for my next step.

Thanks a lot!

yael
Quartz | Level 8

Hello @Rick_SAS

Following our correspondence above I would like to ask for your help,

I am trying to see if there is any difference between 3 groups of continouse variable. So I used PROC FREQ with Chi Square and got

a long list divided by 3 groups (it probably took every value in this list and indicated the frequency values). But more important is that I got the following message:

WARNING: 100% of the cells have expected counts less

than 5. Chi-Square may not be a valid test.

Effective Sample Size = 3986

Frequency Missing = 828

WARNING: 17% of the data are missing.

I checked and there is NO MISSING DATA but there is missing data if we divide it to 3 groups (attached an example)

SAS4.jpg

First, I hope my description with my broken English is clear, BUT how can I solve it?

Thanks a lot!!!

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

As I said in my previous message, PROC FREQ is for discrete response, typically counts.  If you have a continuous response, you need to use a different procedure such as GLM.

yael
Quartz | Level 8

Sorry! You are right, I forgot it

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation