BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Zatere
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

In my Data set I have number of dates which are wrong. They appear as 01 - 31Dec9999 instead of 01 -31Dec1999.

What I want to do is to convert 9999 into 1999.

Any Ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

9999 is usually used to indicate missing data. Is it possible to have missing values? Are all the values 31Dec9999 rather than various dates? If so then I'd definitely think the dates were invalid or something else rather than 31Dec1999. If the dates vary (i.e. 15Apr9999) then its possible.

Nevertheless if you're 100% you can fix it two in a straightforward IF/THEN condition

If the data is a SAS date (numeric with date9. format in your case) then the following will work:

if year(old_date)=9999 then new_date=mdy(month(old_date), day(old_date), 1999);

else new_date=old_date;

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User

Are these SAS dates or text fields?

If its a text field you can look into tranwrd searching for 9999 instead of 1999.

Also, are you sure these are incorrect. Its a common practice to code dates as 9999 to indicate a date in the distant future. The rationale for this is it makes it easier for querying date periods instead of needing to deal with null values.

Zatere
Quartz | Level 8

All dates are in a SAS Data Set. It seems that the values are incorrect, because they describe a period between 01JAN1998 and 31DEC2002.

When I checked the ranges for the dates (valid dates are only between 01JAN1998 and 31DEC2002)  I found those invalid values.

I have to either get rid of those invalid dates or to convert them into valid.

Reeza
Super User

9999 is usually used to indicate missing data. Is it possible to have missing values? Are all the values 31Dec9999 rather than various dates? If so then I'd definitely think the dates were invalid or something else rather than 31Dec1999. If the dates vary (i.e. 15Apr9999) then its possible.

Nevertheless if you're 100% you can fix it two in a straightforward IF/THEN condition

If the data is a SAS date (numeric with date9. format in your case) then the following will work:

if year(old_date)=9999 then new_date=mdy(month(old_date), day(old_date), 1999);

else new_date=old_date;

Zatere
Quartz | Level 8

Both codes are working.

I did not want to create a new column therefore I used the following:

if year(old_date)=9999 then old_date=mdy(month(old_date), day(old_date), 1999);

else old_date=old_date;

However I looked at the Data Set again and it seems that you are right because the dates do not vary; they are always 31Dec9999. The data set does not contain missing values, as per missing values check.

If those dates are invalid rather than 31Dec1999 as I thought initially, may I ask how I should proceed with that? Should I delete them?

Reeza
Super User

That depends on your subject area. Without any knowledge of the data its impossible to say. For example if this was a clinical trials process these may be people who survived past the trial date so then survival analysis method is used and those observations are censored. 

Ksharp
Super User

There is must be a very large value in data variable.

data have;
a='31Dec9999'd;
b=mdy(month(a),day(a),1999);
format a b date9.;
run;

Xia Keshan

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation