BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
chuakp
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, I'm trying to change the reference level for categorical variable in proc surveyreg.  Let's say I have the following code:

proc surveyreg data = temp;

weight weightvar;

strata stratum;

cluster psu;

class race;

model income = race /solution;

run;

Let's say that class is a four-level categorical variable with race = 1 being white, race = 2 being black, race = 3 being Asian, race = 4 being Hispanic.  It seems like proc surveyreg will use the highest value of race (race = 4, Hispanic) as the default baseline, but I'd like to set the default to be another level (say, race = 2 or black).  How do I do this without recoding my race variable?  [I could do a descending sort of race and include the option "order = data" on the proc surveyreg line, but that would only help me if I wanted to make race = 1 my baseline]. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DLing
Obsidian | Level 7

The PROC SURVEYREG documentation talks about using formatted value and using the ORDER= options on the SURVEYREG statement.

You can do this two ways:

- change the value in the dataset itself, or

- use proc format tricks. e.g., your data is rece = '1','2','3','4', '4' would be used by default as you noted.  Suppose you want to use '3' as reference class,

proc format;

value $race

'1' = 'A White'

'2' = 'B Black'

'3' = 'D Asian'

'4' = 'C Hispanic'

;

run;

proc surveyreg order=formatted data=temp;

class race;     format race $race.;

'3' would be used as reference because its formatted value is sorted the highest.

PROC SURVEYLOGISTIC, on the other hand, allows you explicit control over the reference class.  Here's a link to a paper showing examples http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi31/140-31.pdf.  This is probably not supported by SURVEYREG though (I can't test at the moment).

PROC SURVEYLOGISTIC DATA=ALL(WHERE=(20<=RIDAGEYR)) ;

CLUSTER SDMVPSU; STRATA SDMVSTRA;

CLASS SEX(ref='M') AGE1(ref=FIRST) RACE(ref='Non-Hispanic White');

WEIGHT WTMEC4YR;

MODEL HIGHTC(EVENT='1') = SEX AGE1 RACE ;

RUN;

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
DLing
Obsidian | Level 7

The PROC SURVEYREG documentation talks about using formatted value and using the ORDER= options on the SURVEYREG statement.

You can do this two ways:

- change the value in the dataset itself, or

- use proc format tricks. e.g., your data is rece = '1','2','3','4', '4' would be used by default as you noted.  Suppose you want to use '3' as reference class,

proc format;

value $race

'1' = 'A White'

'2' = 'B Black'

'3' = 'D Asian'

'4' = 'C Hispanic'

;

run;

proc surveyreg order=formatted data=temp;

class race;     format race $race.;

'3' would be used as reference because its formatted value is sorted the highest.

PROC SURVEYLOGISTIC, on the other hand, allows you explicit control over the reference class.  Here's a link to a paper showing examples http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi31/140-31.pdf.  This is probably not supported by SURVEYREG though (I can't test at the moment).

PROC SURVEYLOGISTIC DATA=ALL(WHERE=(20<=RIDAGEYR)) ;

CLUSTER SDMVPSU; STRATA SDMVSTRA;

CLASS SEX(ref='M') AGE1(ref=FIRST) RACE(ref='Non-Hispanic White');

WEIGHT WTMEC4YR;

MODEL HIGHTC(EVENT='1') = SEX AGE1 RACE ;

RUN;

chuakp
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks so much for the tip on playing with the formats - that did the trick.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation