BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Uche_Okoro
Fluorite | Level 6

I need help with the codes for determining sample size for independent t tests by bootstrapping. I calculated the sample size by hand and got 62. My mu1=8, mu2=15 std dev.=12, alpha=0.05 and 1-beta=0.9.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

The general idea is shown in "Using simulation to estimate the power of a statistical test." That example uses simulation to generate the many (re)samples, but you can replace the simulation step by using the bootstrap resampling. A general discussion of bootstrapping in SAS is available at "Compute a bootstrap confidence interval in SAS".

If this is a MATCHED t-test, then you should use a permutation test, as shown in "Resampling and permutation tests in SAS".

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

Please see the fully worked example here: 

http://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=statug&docsetTarget=statug_power_gettingstarted02.htm&docsetV...

If you have more specific issues with your PROC POWER, please post back with the code you tried and explain what issues you're having.

Uche_Okoro
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you for prompt response but it does not have a closed-form solution.
By bootstrapping, I am to estimate the sample size that will give me a
power of 90%. I know from the initial calculation I got 62. I am expected
to start with eg 30 run simulations 1000 times using the independent t-test
then check the p-value each time. if I reject that could be coded as 1 when
fail to reject, I code that as 0. I am to do that a 1000 times, then take
an average of the variables which is the power. I am to continue increasing
the sample size and the power is expected to increase as I do so. Then stop
at a sample size that gives me a power of 90%.

I need a sas code to enable me so do.

Thank you again.
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

If you have SAS 9.4M5, you can use the new BOOTSTRAP statement in PROC TTEST:

http://go.documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=statug&docsetTarget=statug_ttest_syntax02.htm&docsetVersio...

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

The general idea is shown in "Using simulation to estimate the power of a statistical test." That example uses simulation to generate the many (re)samples, but you can replace the simulation step by using the bootstrap resampling. A general discussion of bootstrapping in SAS is available at "Compute a bootstrap confidence interval in SAS".

If this is a MATCHED t-test, then you should use a permutation test, as shown in "Resampling and permutation tests in SAS".

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation