BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jazzblues24
Calcite | Level 5

What is the best method of conducting a bivariate analysis of two categorical  variables? I used proc freq but I wasn't sure what to look for as a result. proc ttest doesn't seem right because I have no results for the Satterthwaite method. Any advice would be great.

6 REPLIES 6
art297
Opal | Level 21

Are your data simply frequencies in an X x Y table?  If so, then I'd think that proc frequency's chi square statistic might suffice.

jazzblues24
Calcite | Level 5

yes its in a Yes or No format. Proc freq works out fine. Thanks. Now what if I have a continuous variable vs a categorical variable. I'm thinking proc reg should work?

art297
Opal | Level 21

I am not a statistician.  However, if your dichotomies are all 1 and 0, and your continuous variables are at least interval or interval appearing (e.g., a Likert-type scale), I think you could use either for both.

Ksharp
Super User

You can't do it with proc reg because residual is required to conform Normal Distribution.

But for your situation, Logistic Model or proc mixed is a good choice.

Ksharp

art297
Opal | Level 21

KSharp,  Just to make the discussion and possibilities more interesting, here is the start of a chapter from one of Gene Glass's books: http://epm.sagepub.com/content/26/3/623.extract

As I learned, again while not a statistician, one can assume that a dichotomy was forced from a factor that was actually normalliy distributed.

Ksharp
Super User

Art.

Yes. dichotomy will conform Normal Distribution, if your sample size is quite large.

Actually Normal Distribution is from bivariate distribution.

Normal Distribution can be deduced by formula of bivariate distribution when N is large enough.

Ksharp

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation