BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
BETO
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi   I've  a two part question I currently have a  access table that I need to import into sas. The table has over 100k records . The Access table is in a share directory  which takes a long time to do an import (Proc Import- (currently it freezes my laptop) I tried Libname  an its brings in everthing fast ( which is great) the issue is there are  a lot tables in the the mdb  that when i click on the libname  it takes on avg 25-30 min to open. Is there a way I can use libname  to refer to one table named  "TEST" only ? and not everything in there.  What I want to do is on table 'TEST" I need to pull the last 30 days worth of data. Is there a way to use  proc import  and do a "Date" -30 or in libname    select table "TEST" and do a -30?  Thanks for your assistance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Your query should read:

create table depcount as

select Terminal_ID, count(Terminal_ID) as Repeat

from MyData

where ON_SCHEDULE = "False"

group by Terminal_ID;

This counts the number of records for each Terminal_ID that have ON_SCHEDULE = "False".

Can you post the part of the SQL job that pulls the MS-Access data into a local table? I find it strange that it takes so long. Please include the table record count as well.

PG

PG

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Try ACCESS=READONLY and DEFER=YES in your libname statement. It might speed things up.

Another way would be to try the SQL pass-through facility.

Another way would be to create a small ACCESS database with only the tables that you want as linked tables.

PG

PG
BETO
Fluorite | Level 6

Is there a way in doing the libname I can filter for only last 30 days worth of data?  Where would I insert ACCESS=READONLY and DEFER=YES what I hV E NOW IS " libname Access c:\ Complinance.mdb;"

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

libname myLib Access "c:\ Complinance.mdb" READONLY DEFER=YES;

Data selection cannot be done in the libname statement.

PG

PG
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

The best method would be to use the SQL Pass-through facility because the subsetting would be done by Access. On my machine (Win-XP, Access 2007, SAS 9.3) the following works:

proc sql;
connect to Access as db (path="C:\Documents and Settings\******\myDatabase.accdb");
create view myData as
select * from connection to db (select * from myTable where myTable.date >= int(now())-30 );

quit;

proc print data=myData; run;

The query being stored in a view, it is run only when you run the proc print. Note that the SQL in parenthesis must be valid Microsoft SQL, not SAS SQL.

PG

PG
BETO
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi PG Stats

I plug in your code an  did  test run on a access db I 'v on my desktop an it worked great. When I tried it on the real Access db I rec this error.Does it matter type of access it was to a .mdb not a accdb? The "Settle" is in a date/ time format dd/mm/yy 00:00:00. The  real Path is to a shared directory

ERROR: Prepare: Syntax error in query.  Incomplete query clause.

SQL statement: select * from "tbl_dep" where tbl_dep.Settle

>= int(now())-30

ERROR: SQL View WORK.MYDATA could not be processed because at least one of the data sets, or views,

referenced directly (or indirectly) by it could not be located, or opened successfully.

Thanks Again for all your help

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

"tbl_dep" is not a valid table name in MS-Access, use [tbl_dep] or simply tbl_dep.

PG

PG
BETO
Fluorite | Level 6
i Hi PG STATS,The [] worked the issue is when I try to create a simple table based of  the Mydata table(view). I get a error I enclosed error log.  Since its a view could I use it like a normal table in SAS? or is it limited ? Thanks again
proc sql;
  create table depcount as
34 (select
  Terminal_ID,
  Count(Terminal_ID) As Repeat
  from Mydata
  Where ON_SCHEDULE eq 'False'
NOTE:
  This SAS session is using a registry in WORK. All changes will be lost at the
  end of this
session.
NOTE:
  This SAS session is using a registry in WORK. All changes will be lost at the
  end of this
session.
ERROR:
  Maximum level of nesting of macro functions exceeded.
ERROR:
  Maximum level of nesting of macro functions exceeded.

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

I can't make sense of that log. I remember getting the same type of messages when I tried to run two sessions at once.

But yes, SAS views can be used like normal tables. Sometimes, it is preferable to transform them into local temporary tables (replace the word view with table in the query) to avoid querying the remote database each time you use them.

PG

PG
BETO
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi PGStats,

I change it to table from view an now its avg about 1hr to pull data. I might have to learn to live with that unless you have any suggestion it has over 500k records an grows everyday  a little... I tried creating a count of all the TID that have "false"  an it states remerging  what do you think is causing that?

proc sql;
175 create table depcount as
176 (select
177 Terminal_ID,
178 Count(distinct
  Terminal_ID) As Repeat
179 from Mydata
180 Where ON_SCHEDULE eq
  'False'
181 )
182 ;
NOTE: The query requires
  remerging summary statistics back with the original data.
NOTE: Table WORK.DEPCOUNT
  created, with 15 rows and 2 columns.

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Your query should read:

create table depcount as

select Terminal_ID, count(Terminal_ID) as Repeat

from MyData

where ON_SCHEDULE = "False"

group by Terminal_ID;

This counts the number of records for each Terminal_ID that have ON_SCHEDULE = "False".

Can you post the part of the SQL job that pulls the MS-Access data into a local table? I find it strange that it takes so long. Please include the table record count as well.

PG

PG
BETO
Fluorite | Level 6

Part1)This takes 1 hr on avg to pull the table has 500k records. When the table gets created with the 30 filter it produces 23k records

procsql;

connectto Accessas db (path="g:\Shared Databases\CCMS 2\CCMS2Production.mdb");

createtable myDataas

select *from connection to db (select * from [tbl_deposit]

where tbl_deposit.Scheduled_Settle >= int(now())-30 );

quit;

2nd Part) If I want to add an additional criteria " And Repeat >1"  is just an "AND"?

SAS is a funny program how would  I add wild card too pick up all types of False(I.E false,False,FALSE)

procsql;

createtable depcountas

select Terminal_ID,Count(Terminal_ID)As Repeat

from Mydata

Where ON_SCHEDULE ="FALSE"

groupby Terminal_ID;

quit;

tHANKS AGAIN PGSTATS

BETO
Fluorite | Level 6

PGSTATS,

How do I select for correct answer ?

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Hello BETO, sorry to take so long...

Part 1) Now I understand. It is the part where Access, running on your machine, accesses your database on a network that takes so long. The only way to improve that I can think of, would be to have an index on variable Scheduled_Settle,. if it doesn't already exists.

Part 2) where upcase(on_schedule) = "FALSE" and repeat > 1

good luck

PG

PG
BETO
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi PGStats,

Thank you so much for your assistance with my question... BTW I fig out how to reduce the time of the import from 1hr to 7 min.. I went into the table an change all the text columns in access to 'Unicode compress" ....  How can I select that the question has been answer? Thanks a bunch

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation