BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
peatjohnston
Calcite | Level 5

Best-subset instead of stepwise question.

Hello, I have classes of individuals grouped together from cluster analysis. I want to use discriminant analysis to determine group membership of new individuals based on a set of predictors. Normally, I use PROC STEPDISC to find a subset of predictors that go into the discriminant analysis, something like:

proc stepdisc     data=training sle=0.05 singular=0.1;

class group;

var VAR1--VAR25

run;

However, recent literature indicates stepwise selection is not as good as evaluating all possible subsets of predictors. Is there a procedure, or otherwise, that can do this? I have looked at PHREG REG and LOGISTIC procedures, but they all seem to be based on numerical data rather than classes. Have I missed something? or should I just convert the group  data from text to numerical?

Thanks in advance.

peat

4 REPLIES 4
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Best variable subset selection isn't available in PROC STEPDISC. If you have only two groups or if you want to explore group differences two groups at a time, you can perform best variable subset selection in PROC LOGISTIC

title "Discriminating groups A and B";

proc logistic data=training(where=(group in ("A", "B")));

class group;

model group(event="B") = VAR1 -- VAR25 / selection=score best=3 stop=5;

run;

PG

PG
peatjohnston
Calcite | Level 5

Hi PG, and thanks for the response. I actually have 4 groups (sometimes more). It looks like I can just use:

proc logistic data=training;

class group;

model group= VAR1 -- VAR25 / selection=score best=3 stop=5;

run;

This is very helpful. However, is there a way to compare the output models for overfitting? e.g. are four preditors really better than three.

Cheers,

peat

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Peat,

Probably the best way to address overfitting is with Bootstrapping.  there is a substantial literature on it.

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

peatjohnston
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Duke, I will look into it.

peat

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation