BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
HalfTimeSasAdmin
Calcite | Level 5
Hello,

I lightly manage a SAS 9.1.3 SP4 Server on Windows Server 2003. I had to backup it and I want to do it by scripts.

As I want to perform a full backup of the non-system partition containing SAS folders, I plan to :
- stop SAS/other services (to avoid modifications or even connections),
- backup the partition,
- start needed services.

Unfortunately, I don't know exactly which services have to be stop... I think "SAS Lev1 MS - EGServers" and "SAS Lev1 OB - EGServers" are both of them because there are the only SAS services. But is there others ?

Thanks for your answers.
1 REPLY 1
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
We don't stop the services, we just do the backup. The odds of our finding a time with no SAS job running is virtually 0, so we decided the cost of not getting every data set every time was less than the cost of unhappy users.

We run daily incremental backups and weekly full backups (of everything on the server), so we generally get data sets backed up as soon as the user is done with it.

Our environment sounds bigger than yours, but we've been doing it this way since we had just 20 users or so. Users seem to find it a reasonable balance between safety and convenience. The downside for you as a sysadmin is that you may have to look multiple places to find the file to restore.

Doc Muhlbaier
Duke

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation