BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
MrTh
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all 

I have a small query that some of you might have already encoutered re: Proc report.

I have a report the get generated weekly automatically. Pb is that last week, the data was a bit different and 1 category ('Female' wasn't present in the file. That was normal but I hadn't cater for it in teh automatic report and an error was generated (see error below).

Usual in-file 'rep0' format = _NAME_ male female

This week 'rep0' format = _NAME_ male

I was thinking of going the roundabout way of creating dummy cols of '0' whenever a category was missing - but there might be a cleverer idea out there 🙂

Thanks

Cheers

proc report data = rep0 nowd style(header)=[font_size=2] missing ;
columns ("Excellent title" _NAME_ maley female) ;
define _NAME_ / ' ' left style(column)=[cellwidth=5.0cm] display ;
define male/ 'Males' format=10.0 center style(column)=[cellwidth=5.5cm] display ;
define female/ 'Females' format=10.0 center style(column)=[cellwidth=5.5cm] display ; run ; quit ;
ERROR: Variable female is not on file WORK.REP0.
NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.
NOTE: PROCEDURE REPORT used (Total process time):
real time 0.00 seconds
cpu time 0.00 seconds

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

Force having both genders in dataset before running proc report.

Assuming gender is one character then:

data rep0;
 set rep0;
      length male female $1; /* adapt length to origin */
run;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

Force having both genders in dataset before running proc report.

Assuming gender is one character then:

data rep0;
 set rep0;
      length male female $1; /* adapt length to origin */
run;
MrTh
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks #Shmuel - that's the option I went for. 

Cheers

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

For the sake of completeness, when you are using PROC REPORT, you have 2 options inside PROC REPORT that can help you with this scenario. By default, as shown in Report #1, when I ask PROC REPORT to show me the count of students, for each SEX within each AGE, there is no F row for Age 16 because the data does not have a female for age 16.

But, as shown in Report #2, if I add the COMPLETEROWS option, then PROC REPORT "completes" all the rows the same, based on the values it finds in the data. So, with the COMPLETEROWS option added, there is now a row for F under Age 16 with a count of 0.

use_completerows.png

But what if I want to see rows for ages 17-20 because I know that for some data files, I will have those ages, but for other data files, I might not have those ages. One way is to "seed" a copy of the data will all the possible values to show on the report. Another option that works for PROC REPORT, TABULATE and a few others is the PRELOADFMT option, which allows you to specify a format that contains the combinations you want to see on the report. Report #3 shows the use of PRELOADFMT with COMPLETEROWS to get ages 17-20 with values for F and M for each age.

completerows_preloadfmt.png

In some circumstances, you might prefer to seed the data to contain all combinations for variables, this is a technique that I often use when I need to put a category value on a graph, but the data does not have that value.

cynthia

MrTh
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Cynthia

I really appreciathe the compleness of your reply - the PRELOADFMT sounds a very good alternative that I will try. Many thanks!!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation