BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Biniie
Fluorite | Level 6

It's more a stat problem, than an actual SAS-problem...

I've made a regression analysis using general linear model in SAS. I have made four models for the same association I want to explore, but with different number of covariates (confounders). When I check the model assumption for normality, I noticed that the distribution of the models residuals gets more and more normal distributed with rising number of covariates in the model. 

Could anyone explain me why this happens? Preferably in a "not so mathematical way"? 🙂 

1 REPLY 1
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Not only that, but the standard deviation of the residuals is getting smaller, too.

As you fit more variables, you are explaining more of the data. The model fits the data better, which means that the residuals are getting closer to the regression surface. 

If you have one regressor, there might be observations that are far from the model. These "outliers" show up in the residual histogram as being far from the zero. Thus the histogram does not look bell-shaped. As you add more regressors, there are fewer outliers and the surface passes close to all the points. The histogram of residuals will be very bell-shaped and narrow (small standard deviation).

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation