BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
need_sas_help
Calcite | Level 5

I Have a character variable (Comment) with the following value:

Comment
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pitney : Cutting Device Failure : Cannot Insert Cutter; Pitney : Cutting Device Failure : Component Damaged; Houston : Cleaning Device Failure : Vibration

I need to create three charactert variables (SU1, SU2, SU3) from the varaible - Comment as every  new varaible starts after first  ":" and ends before ";". The next

variable starts after ";" and the first ":" and ends before ";".  and goes on.....

The result dataset wither new variables should be as below:

SU1                                                                                     SU2                                                                      SU3
-------------------------------------------------------------       ----------------------------------------------------------------        ---------------------------------------------------
Cutting Device Failure : Cannot Insert Cutter       Cutting Device Failure : Component Damaged        Cleaning Device Failure : Vibration

Thank you so much.

8 REPLIES 8
LionelT
Obsidian | Level 7

I believe

SU1     =Scan(Comment,1,';') ;

SU2     =Scan(Comment,2,';') ;

SU3     =Scan(Comment,3,';') ;

Of course, I have not checked the syntax completely, so some tweaking may be required.

need_sas_help
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks a lot LionIT for you code. But it doesn't solve the main complexity I am facing:

charactert variables (SU1, SU2, SU3) from the varaible - Comment as every  new varaible starts after first  ":" and ends before ";". The next 

variable starts after ";" and the first ":" and ends before ";". 

LionelT
Obsidian | Level 7

Sorry about that...missed the 'Pitney' piece....or should I say  'Pitney' I didn't read the whole note!

SU1, SU2 and SU3 after the first piece of code would now contain the desired comments other than the extra 'Pitney :' at the start.

So, we need to substr starting at the position afer the ':' to the end of hte string. The end piece would be SU1 = Substr(SU1, startinglocationtobedetermined, length(SU1)-Startinglocationtobedetermined) ;

For startinglocationtobedetermined insert the following.

Indexc(SU1,':')+1

need_sas_help
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks LionelT . Not famliar with the code you just provided. Not too clear too me. If you have a minute to spare would you be kind enough to provide the exact code? Sorry I have failed to follow this instruction. Please help me.

Reeza
Super User

Here's two ways. The second relies on your fixed structure as in the example.

data have;

var="Pitney : Cutting Device Failure : Cannot Insert Cutter; Pitney : Cutting Device Failure : Component Damaged; Houston : Cleaning Device Failure : Vibration";

run;

data want;

set have;

*separate out into parts by semicolon;

temp1=scan(var, 1, ";");

temp2=scan(var, 2, ";");

temp3=scan(var, 3, ";");

*Substring remaining variable by finding the first colon delimiter;

var1=substr(temp1, find(temp1, ":")+2);

var2=substr(temp2, find(temp2, ":")+2);

var3=substr(temp3, find(temp3, ":")+2);

*keep var1-var3;

run;

*A different option by scanning into component parts and then concatenating them together;

data want2;

set have;

*separate out into parts by semicolon;

var1=catx(":", scan(var, 2, ";:"), scan(var, 3, ";:")) ;

var2=catx(":", scan(var, 5, ";:"), scan(var, 6, ";:")) ;

var3=catx(":", scan(var, 8, ";:"), scan(var, 9, ";:")) ;

keep var1-var3;

run;

CTorres
Quartz | Level 8

Try this:

data want(keep=comment su:);

length comment test $ 200;

array su{3} $ 200;

comment="Pitney : Cutting Device Failure : Cannot Insert Cutter; Pitney : Cutting Device Failure : Component Damaged; Houston : Cleaning Device Failure : Vibration";

test=cats(comment,';');

l=length(test);

do n=1 to 3 ;

from=index(test,':');

if from=0 then leave;

to=index(test,';');

if to=0 then to=l;

su{n}=cats(substr(test,from+1,to-from-1));

test=substr(test,to+1);

l=l-to;

end;

run;

CTorres

bharathtuppad
Obsidian | Level 7

data have;

infile cards truncover;

input comment $250. ;

datalines4;

:Cutting Device Failure : Cannot Insert Cutter;:Cutting Device Failure : Component Damaged;:Cleaning Device Failure : Vibration;

;;;;

proc print;

run;

data want;

set have;

su1=scan(comment,1,";");

su2=scan(comment,2,";");

su3=scan(comment, 3,";");

%macro abc;

%do i=1 %to 3;

su&i=substr(su&i,2);

%end;

%mend;

%abc;

run;

proc print;

run;

Reeza
Super User

Why would you use macro looping here? Use an array instead.

data want;

set have;

arrray su(3) $ su1-su3;

do i=1 to 3;

su(i)=scan(comment,i,";");

su(i)=substr(su(i),2);

end;

run;

proc print;

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation