BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
caracalla
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am working on the Klein-Spady semiparametric estimator.

I am trying to use call NLPNRA to generate a maximum likelihood estimate. IML gives an ERROR message saying that I am taking log of zero. But I checked the arguments in all the log commands, none of them is zero.

Below is the program and the error message. Thanks for your help.

ERROR: (execution) Invalid argument to function.

operation : LOG at line 296 column 45

operands  : _TEM1008

_TEM1008      1 row       1 col     (numeric)

statement : ASSIGN at line 296 column 1

traceback : module LOGLIK at line 296 column 1

ERROR: NEWRAP Optimization cannot be completed.

ERROR: The function value of the objective function cannot be computed at the starting point.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I don't understand what you are doing well enough to diagnose what is going wrong, but from the error messages I assume that the LINK variable is getting out of the open interval (0,1).  If you put in the line

link = choose( link<=0 | link>=1, ., link);

then the algorithm converge.  Unless there is a theoretical reason why a quantity cannot be less than zero, it's a good programming practice to protect against taking log(negative_value).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

First, look at the following article: Maximum likelihood estimation in SAS/IML - The DO Loop
What are the meanings of your three parameters (for example, location, scale, or shape parameters). Are any of your parameters constrained? If so, see Step 2 in the article.

caracalla
Calcite | Level 5

thank you,

it's just a binary model, the parameters are not constraint and the initial values come from the proc logistic.

the module computes the log likelihood so i don't understand the problem

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I don't understand what you are doing well enough to diagnose what is going wrong, but from the error messages I assume that the LINK variable is getting out of the open interval (0,1).  If you put in the line

link = choose( link<=0 | link>=1, ., link);

then the algorithm converge.  Unless there is a theoretical reason why a quantity cannot be less than zero, it's a good programming practice to protect against taking log(negative_value).

caracalla
Calcite | Level 5

thanks for this advice, it's work fine

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation