BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
rbettinger
Pyrite | Level 9

I want to write a SAS/IML debugging module that I can call with an argument that may be numerical, character, or a list or a table.

This module would print varying messages conditional upon the data type, e.g., 'N', 'C', or, let's say, 'L' for a list, and 'T' for a table.

Is there a SAS/IML function that is similar to the DATA STEP vartype() function that I can use to return the data type of an argument to a module?

The "call struct()" module gives me good information. Is there some way to utilize this module as a function so that I may conditionally execute code based on the contents of a data structure?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
IanWakeling
Barite | Level 11

In IML the function is called TYPE() and works exactly how you are expecting, for example:

x = 4;
   if type(x)='N' then do;
     /* x is numeric so OK to do stuff... */ 
     x = x # 3;
	 print x;
   end;

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
IanWakeling
Barite | Level 11

In IML the function is called TYPE() and works exactly how you are expecting, for example:

x = 4;
   if type(x)='N' then do;
     /* x is numeric so OK to do stuff... */ 
     x = x # 3;
	 print x;
   end;
rbettinger
Pyrite | Level 9
Thank you very much, Ian.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 2 in conversation