BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
JerryLee
Calcite | Level 5

I am running an IML involving optimizing a multivariate function. It took over 40 hours and still running. I tested the algorithm by loosing the convergence criteria and it worked. So I do not think there is anything wrong with the coding. I am wondering if there is anyway to improve the speed by increasing the buffersize of IML? I know there is a command for SQL to increase the buffersize and speed (e.g., proc sql _method buffersize=2097152). Is there a similar command for proc iml? Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

See SAS/IML(R) 12.1 User's Guide and the link at the bottom of the page.

I would be surprised if increasing the workspace memory changes the performance of your algorithm.  What will have a more significant effect is making sure that your objective function is vectorized. Avoind DO loops, and use matrix-vector computations whenever possible.

JerryLee
Calcite | Level 5

I see. I am curious to try increasing memory to see if it can improve the performance. Is there such a command? Thanks.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Hmmm, I think that IML uses all the memory that SAS can give it, so you'd have to invoke SAS to give you more memory.  I don't think I've ever tried it myself, but here's a University web page (http://www.ciser.cornell.edu/FAQ/SAS/MemoryAllocation.shtm) that shows how to edit the sasv9.cfg file.  You could try adding

-memsize 0

If you have questions about memory, search for 'memsize' in this forum.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation