BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
fengyibj
Calcite | Level 5

Hello everyone,

I am running into a problem when manipulating an enormous matrix with proc iml. I am on SAS 9.4 TS 1M1. My codes are as followed:

proc iml;

use dnet_new_1;
read all var{director_id connected_director_id yearb yeare} into x;
close dnet_new_1;

xrow=nrow(x);

z=shape({.},xrow,5);
z[,1:4]=x;
z[1,5]=1;

do i=2 to xrow;
if x[i,1]^=x[i-1,1] | x[i,2]^=x[i-1,2] then z[i,5]=1;
else if x[i,3]-x[i-1,4]<=1 then z[i,5]=z[i-1,5];
else z[i,5]=z[i-1,5]+1;
end;

create dnet_new2_1 from z;
append from z;
close dnet_new2_1;
quit;

The matrix has 59,248,496 rows and 5 columns. I've already used the MEMSIZE option to allocate all possible system memory. It reads the following after I run "proc options option=memsize value;":

Option Value Information For SAS Option MEMSIZE
Value: 33523975680
Scope: SAS Session
How option value set: SAS Session Startup Command Line

Nevertheless, I receive the following error message: "ERROR: (execution) Unable to allocate sufficient memory. At least 2147483647 more bytes required. ".

Any advice will be appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Two good references for computing with big matrices are 

The first reference tells you that a 60 million x 5 matrix requires about 2.2 GB of RAM.

The second tells you that on Windows PCs, SAS/IML 14.1 (shipped with SAS 9.4M3) supports matrices up to 2^31 elements (about 2  billion elements or 16GB). However, you are running SAS 9.4M1.  On that release (for Windows), any one matrix is limited to 2GB. Your matrix exceeds 2 GB.

Your computation is only using one row at a time (and a LAG value) so you can easily do this computation in the DATA step. 

If you want to stay in in SAS/IML, you can read the data in chunks (for example, 30 million at a time), as shown in the third reference.

HOWEVER, THE EASIEST way to proceed is to let z = j(xrow, 1, .), rather tha embed x into the first 4 columns of z. You can then compute the elements of z (formerly the 5th column) as a vector. Write z to a data set and then merge it with the original data.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Two good references for computing with big matrices are 

The first reference tells you that a 60 million x 5 matrix requires about 2.2 GB of RAM.

The second tells you that on Windows PCs, SAS/IML 14.1 (shipped with SAS 9.4M3) supports matrices up to 2^31 elements (about 2  billion elements or 16GB). However, you are running SAS 9.4M1.  On that release (for Windows), any one matrix is limited to 2GB. Your matrix exceeds 2 GB.

Your computation is only using one row at a time (and a LAG value) so you can easily do this computation in the DATA step. 

If you want to stay in in SAS/IML, you can read the data in chunks (for example, 30 million at a time), as shown in the third reference.

HOWEVER, THE EASIEST way to proceed is to let z = j(xrow, 1, .), rather tha embed x into the first 4 columns of z. You can then compute the elements of z (formerly the 5th column) as a vector. Write z to a data set and then merge it with the original data.

fengyibj
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you Rick for responding to my very first post to the SAS community. Your advice and blogs are so helpful. I really appreciate that.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation