BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Giriudogere
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am a newbee to SAS and willing to learn SAS/IML Studio by connecting to R Language. Can I Use SAS/IML Studio without connecting to a SAS Metadata server. Because I dont want to create a server and install the SAS Server, Is there any other option of connecting to SAS Server without installing it. I just want to Run a simple code where SAS intracts with R Language and gets the output in SAS.

4 REPLIES 4
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Not sure exactly what your refer to as a "server" in this context.

To be able to connect to a metadata server, all necessary products/components that are required to launch a metadata server, must be installed and configured. 

If I understand the documentation correctly, metdata is required. Without it, you need to do IML programming yourself.

Data never sleeps
SASKiwi
PROC Star

While I don't use SAS/IML Studio, I understand that it will work with a local SAS Server, that is, Foundation SAS with IMLPlus licensed on the same PC as SAS/IML Studio. No metadata server would be required in this case.

It's only when you want to work with the remote SAS server that a metadata server would also be needed.

Ksharp
Super User

SAS/IML Studio must be combined with the same machine of SAS, It doesn't matter if it is a server or a local pc sas . Therefore, that should be OK, if your PC have installed standalone SAS .

More information about SAS and R communication , Check (search IML and R in the following Blog)

Rick Wicklin
Statistical programming blog: http://blogs.sas.com/content/iml

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

To clarify these responses:

1) SAS/IML Studio is a client program that always runs on a Windows PC.

2) It can connect to a SAS session that is on a different machine (called a remote workshpace server) or it can connect to a version of SAS that runs on the same Windows PC.  It sounds like you want to connect to the Windows PC version of SAS. Therefore you do not need to worry about a metadata server.

3) Since you are running SAS on the Windows PC, install R on the same PC.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation