BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
MDaniel
Obsidian | Level 7

I am loogin at implementing a generic process of error handling on all the IML scripts we run in our company. Ideally, it would be something like this:

%LET IsIMLError = 0; /* flag that is set to 1 in case if an error */

proc iml;

OnError do;  /* is this somehow possible? */
   %LET IsIMLError = 1; 
   write_error_to_text_file; /* pseudo-code */
   ABORT;
end;

/* IML code goes here*/

quit;

The idea is to always trigger the error handling section whenever an error appears, no matter the nature of the error. Right now I can't figure out if the 'OnError' event exists in SAS/IML (or something with similar functionality). Any hints?

1 REPLY 1
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Read the doc chapter "Generating and Executing Statements", which has two sections on error handling. 

Be sure you are also familiar with the ways to handle run-time errors in modules.

If I may offer some advice: Whenever possible, it is better, easier, and cleaner to detect and handle SAS/IML errors BEFORE they occur. This is different than the try/catch paradigm in some other languages.  

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation