BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
bigbigben
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, there:

I wonder how I should do it with SAS/IML.

Imagine x is a m*1 vector and I want to pick up some values from the specified positions defined by another vector, idx. For example, idx={ 2,3,7,5,10,2,7}.  I write a line as:

zz=x[idx,];

zz is supposed to be a 7*1 vector whose values are from the values in corresponding positions in x, according to the index vector idx_k.

Unfortunately, the last line does not seem to be consistent with SAS/IML grammar. If we want to re-order a matrix based on an index defined by another matrix, how should we do it? 

I do find some example related to my question, but I find it difficult to interpret:

In a sample code on how to use the rank function:

x={2 2 1 0 5};  /*value x

b=x;               /*value b from x

x[,rank(x)]=b;

It is difficult to understand the last line. does it revalue x? If so, can just write z[,rank(x)]=b, while z is undefined matrix or a 1*m matrix with m>=5 or can I write x[,rank(x)]=x?

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I think you can use the ideas in this blog post: http://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2011/03/16/sorting-a-matrix-by-row-or-column-statistics/

The post uses the SORTNDX function, which is explained further in this post: http://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2011/03/14/sorting-rows-of-a-matrix/

In your example, IDX is not a valid index into X because IDX contains the value 10. The expression x[10] does not make sense because X has fewer than 10 elements. If you define r=rank(idx), then zz=x[r,] is defined.

Ranks and sorts can be confusing because sometimes you need to use the rank and sometimes you need to use the anti-rank.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation