BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
R_Fraser
Calcite | Level 5

I am running a large number of simulations. Below is a snippet of my code. The following code works but is not efficient as a result of the do loop. Can the QUAD function be vectorized for better efficiency?

Regards,

Raphael

/* Incomplete Gamma Function */

start IGF(a,b);

return( b#gamma(a)#CDF('GAMMA', 1, a, 1/b) );

finish IGF;

/* Derivative of the Incomplete Gamma Function w.r.t. aa */

start DIGF(x) global(aa,bb);

return( log(x)#x##(aa - 1/2)#exp(-x#bb/2) );

finish DIGF;

nu = 3;

seed = 123456;

c = j(15000, 1, seed);

w = 2*uniform(c);

evalnum = J(nrow(w),1); /* pre-allocate matrix */

limits = {0 1};

do k = 1 to nrow(w);

aa = nu; bb = w;

call quad(result, "DIGF", limits);

evalnum = result;

end;

evalden = IGF(nu + 1/2,w/2);

r = evalnum/evalden;

3 REPLIES 3
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

The answer to your question is no. The integral is a scalar quantity. As you change the parameters, the shape of the function changes and therefore the integration algorithm is different for each parameter. I suspect that the work required to set up each integral is small compared to the work to compute the integral, so I wouldn't expect much gain if QUAD were vectorized (maybe less than 10%?).  So I don't think that the DO loop is costing you much time.

A question about your code: Your comment says "Derivative of the incomplete gamma fnc w.r.t. a"

Are you sure that formula is correct? I don't see where the 2s come from. That is, I wonder why (d/da)(IGF) would generate the terms x##(aa-1/2)#exp(-x#bb/2), rather than x##(a-1)#exp(-t##bb).   But I admit that I don't understand what you are attempting.

R_Fraser
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you. The incomplete gamma function I am using is \int_{0}^{1} u^{(a + 1/2) - 1} \exp(-u*b) du and not the usual  \int_{0}^{x} u^{a - 1} \exp(-u) du.

R_Fraser
Calcite | Level 5

Or rather \int_{0}^{1} u^{(a + 1/2) - 1} \exp(-u*b/2) du

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation