BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
trekvana
Calcite | Level 5
Hello all,

Here is my basic scenario.

Lets say I read in a 2x2 matrix from a SAS data set say, A=[1,2 ; 3,4] and I have to multiply it into a 3 dimensional column vector with a missing value say, x=(4, . ,6)'.

Now I know that proc IML doesnt like missing values so I have to first remove the missing value from x then I can do A*x and now I get a 2x1 column vector.

What I want to do now is reinsert the missing value into its original position as with the x vector. So in our case y=A*x=[16,36] and I want y to become y=[16, . , 36].

This was just a basic example. My x vectors may have multiple missing values at different indices. My A matrix will always be the dimension of the truncated x vector so I dont need to worry about my A matrix. All I need to do is truncate the missing values from my x vector, do the matrix multiplication, and then add the missing value character (.) in y where it initially was on x.

I am not that proficient in coding yet so any complete or semi-complete code would help.

George
6 REPLIES 6
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ
I can tell that you have a MATLAB background. Welcome to IML!

In IML, use a space to separate columns and use a comma to indicate a new row. So your data might look like this:

A = {1 2 3, 4 5 6, 7 8 9};
x = {1, ., ., 4, ., 6, .};

The function you want is the LOC function, which can find the indices of x that are missing (or nonmissing):

NMidx = loc(x ^= .); /** non-missing index **/
v = x[NMidx]; /** subset to form nonmissing values of x **/

y = repeat(., nrow(x)); /** fill answer vector with missing values **/
y[NMidx] = A*v; /** put answer in correct locations **/
print y;
trekvana
Calcite | Level 5
Rick-

Suppose now that I had a matrix instead of a vector, let say A={1 2; 3 4} and B={1 . 3; . 1 2}. Can I still use the loc function to find the indices of the missing values for the B matrix?

So I would need to get B1={1 3;1 2}, then do A*B1 and then augment the B1 matrix with corresponding missing values. Here is what I thought of. I assume there is a faster way?

proc iml;
a={1 2,3 4};
b={1 . 3,. 1 2};
nm=loc(b^=.);
b1=shape(b[loc(b^=.)],nrow(a),ncol(a));
y=shape(a*b1,ncol(nm));
y1=repeat(.,nrow(b)*ncol(b));
y1[nm]=y;
y1=shape(y1,nrow(b),ncol(b));
print a,b,nm,b1,y,y1;
quit;

Message was edited by: trekvana
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ
That's not bad. I think I'd shape y1 to be a matrix and get rid of y:

nm=loc(b^=.);
b1=shape(b[loc(b^=.)],nrow(a),ncol(a));
y1=repeat(.,nrow(b),ncol(b));
y1[nm]=a*b1;
print nm,b1,y1;

Can anyone else come up with a better technique?

Incidentally, I discuss handling missing values in Ch. 3 and Ch. 11 of my forthcoming book on IML. This problem you've posed is a variation of the problems and solutions in those chapters.
trekvana
Calcite | Level 5
Rick-

when is your book slated to be released? Do you have a title for it already (or at least something on how to find it when it comes out). I look forward to it.

Thanks for the help

George
trekvana
Calcite | Level 5
Rick-

when is your book slated to be released? Do you have a title for it already (or at least something on how to find it when it comes out). I look forward to it.

Thanks for the help.

George

EDIT: A quick search and I believe I found it
http://support.sas.com/publishing/authors/wicklin.html
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ
That's it. I was told the book would be available "late October to early November, 2010."

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation