BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
xtc283x
Quartz | Level 8

I have a matrix, x, that is numeric and 49X47. The second row contains all missing values. I would like to reshape it to a square matrix that is 47x47 by eliminating the first and second rows. 

The SHAPE function isn't working: 

x2=shape(x,3:49,47);

I'm getting execution errors telling me that the "argument should be a scalar."

How do I resolve this?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

The documentation for the SHAPE function specifies that the second argument should be the number of columns in the result matrix. You are sending in a vector, which is why you are getting an error.

First use the subscript operator to  extract the nonmissing rows, then reshape:

x2 = shape( x[3:49, ], 47 );

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

The documentation for the SHAPE function specifies that the second argument should be the number of columns in the result matrix. You are sending in a vector, which is why you are getting an error.

First use the subscript operator to  extract the nonmissing rows, then reshape:

x2 = shape( x[3:49, ], 47 );
IanWakeling
Barite | Level 11

I think the subscript operator alone is suficient here.  The shape function does nothing as the reduced matrix already has 47 rows and 47 columns.

xtc283x
Quartz | Level 8

That specification of the Shape function worked. When I print the resulting matrix within IML, it is square. However, when I create output containing that matrix, the output resolves to a vector:

Vec2 = the resulting square matrix

create Outputx var {Vec2};
           append;
           close Outputx;

run;*end Proc IML;

Outputx contains a single column with nxn rows.

Why does Outputx not contain the square matrix Vec2?

Thank you.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Why does Outputx not contain the square matrix Vec2?

Because you are using the VAR clause in the CREATE statement. Use the FROM clause to write a matrix, as discussed in the article "Writing data from a matrix to a SAS data set."

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation