BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
rbettinger
Pyrite | Level 9

I am writing an IML module with 10 parameters defined. The first parameter is mandatory and the remaining nine are optional. I want to extract the names of numeric parameters.

If I use only nine parameters, I have no trouble using the parentname() function to access a parameter and store its name.

But if I use all 10 parameters, then I cannot extract the first nine and I can access only the tenth parameter.

The following code defines a module with 10 parameters and two test cases: the first test case uses nine parameters and works properly. The second test case uses 10 parameters and returns a blank for the parameter name which I change to a '.' for sake of visibility. In the second case, only the name of the last parameter is returned properly.

proc iml ;                                                                                                                              
reset noname spaces=1 ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
start test( p1, p2=, p3=, p4=, p5=, p6=, p7=, p8=, p9=, p10= ) ;                                                                                                                                                                                                   
print '*** nine-parameter case ***' ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
free p parm_name ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
p = 'p1' : 'p9' ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
print p ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
do i = 1 to ncol( p ) ;                                                                                                                 
        parm_value = parentname( p[ i ] ) ;                                                                                             
        if parm_value = ' ' then parm_value = '.' ;                                                                                     
        parm_name = parm_name || parm_value ;                                                                                           
end ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
print parm_name ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
print '*** 10-parameter case ***' ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
free p parm_name ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
p = 'p1' : 'p10' ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
print p ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
do i = 1 to ncol( p ) ;                                                                                                                 
end ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
print parm_name ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
finish ;                                                                                                                                

a = 1 ; b = 2 ; c = 3 ; d = 4 ; e = 5 ;f = 6 ; g = 7 ; h = 8 ; i = 9 ; j = 10 ;                                                         

run test( a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j ) ;                                                                                              

quit ;      

The output of the test() module is given below.

*** nine-parameter case ***

p1 p2 p3 p4 p5 p6 p7 p8 p9

a b c d e f g h i

*** 10-parameter case ***

p1  p2  p3  p4  p5  p6  p7  p8  p9  p10

. . . . . . . . . j

In the first case, all parameter names are extracted and reported correctly. In the second case, apparently the parentname() function returns a blank value which I then convert to '.' for visibility for the first nine parameters and correctly returns the name of the tenth parameter correctly.

I am perplexed about this parameter passing property. Can anyone explain what is happening? Am I running into a limit on the number of IML module parameters?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ksharp
Super User
/*
It is so interesting. 
You can add STRIP() as the following.

would get these :  ' p1' ' p2' ... 'p10',
note there is a blank before p1 p2 ...p9,that would give wrong name into SAS.
Surprise ??

but if you are using p='p1':'p9' would NOT generate that problem. Surprise ??
*/ 
proc iml ;                                                                                                                              
reset noname spaces=1 ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
free p parm_name ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
print p ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
do i = 1 to ncol( p ) ;                                                                                                                 
end ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
print parm_name ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
free p parm_name ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
print p ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
do i = 1 to ncol( p ) ;                                                                                                                 
        parm_value = parentname( strip(p[ i ]) ) ;     /*<--------*/                                                                                        
end ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
print parm_name ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
finish ;                                                                                                                                

quit ;    

Ksharp_0-1672050387979.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Ksharp
Super User
/*
It is so interesting. 
You can add STRIP() as the following.

would get these :  ' p1' ' p2' ... 'p10',
note there is a blank before p1 p2 ...p9,that would give wrong name into SAS.
Surprise ??

but if you are using p='p1':'p9' would NOT generate that problem. Surprise ??
*/ 
proc iml ;                                                                                                                              
reset noname spaces=1 ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
free p parm_name ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
print p ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
do i = 1 to ncol( p ) ;                                                                                                                 
end ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
print parm_name ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
free p parm_name ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
print p ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
do i = 1 to ncol( p ) ;                                                                                                                 
        parm_value = parentname( strip(p[ i ]) ) ;     /*<--------*/                                                                                        
end ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
print parm_name ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
finish ;                                                                                                                                

quit ;    

Ksharp_0-1672050387979.png

rbettinger
Pyrite | Level 9
The line of code 'parm_value = parentname( strip(p[ i ]) ) ;' works as Ksharp indicated, I did not read his solution carefully enough. It was very perceptive of Mr. Ksharp to understand that SAS/IML adds a blank character to pad the character literals returned by the ':' function.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation